CATR/ACRT Roundtable on Thinking and Writing about Contemporary Circus

Karen Fricker kfricker at BROCKU.CA
Mon Jan 6 21:02:48 EST 2014

Happy New Year, colleagues,

A reminder of the upcoming deadline for our CATR/ACRT roundtable....

Canadian Association for Theatre Research/Association Canadienne de la Recherche Théâtrale

Call for submissions to conference, 24-27 May 2014, Brock University

CALL FOR PARTICIPANTS

Roundtable session title: Thinking and Writing about Contemporary Circus

Session organizers: Karen Fricker (Brock University) and Louis Patrick Leroux (Concordia University)

Formally and aesthetically innovative circus practices are burgeoning worldwide in our times, with Québec one of the global hubs of contemporary circus creation, production, and touring. New scholarship on circus, in turn, is emergent: in 2011 the circus research community in France convened a first international circus studies conference, several important American volumes (by Susan Weber and Matthew Whitman) appeared in 2012, and influential French-language journals including L’Annuaire théâtral, Jeu, Globe, and Spirale have published special issues on Québec circus. The Montréal Working Group on Circus Research, with which both panel organizers are associated (Leroux as founding director, Fricker as co-founder), hosted an international conference in 2012 and runs 4-6 seminars and roundtables every academic year; McGill/Queens University Press is considering Cirque Global: Québec's Expanding Circus Boundaries, a reader co-edited by Leroux and Charles Batson, which will include many chapters and transcripts that had their origins in Montréal Working Group activities.

This roundtable session seeks to take stock of scholarly, performance-critical, and creative activity around circus across Canada, and to bring Québec circus researchers into dialogue with their Canadian counterparts. The co-conveners will offer position papers followed by dialogue and exchange.  We welcome colleagues working on and interested in the aesthetics, ethics, business practices, pedagogical implications, and discursive significations of contemporary circus. While particularly interested in information and exchange about Canadian circus outside of Québec, colleagues working on Québécois and international circus practices are also welcome. The session will focus on articulating and exploring the particularities of circus research, and its relationship to theatre and performance studies; it will ask how we as performance scholars can best use our skills and experience in approaching, analysing, and writing about contemporary circus.

Please send a 200-  to 250-word statement of interest in the session along with a 250-word biographical note to Karen Fricker (kfricker at brocku.ca) and Louis Patrick Leroux (patrick.leroux at concordia.ca) by 13 January 2014.

Link to CATR website and CFP: http://catracrt.ca/conference/

Karen Fricker, PhD
Assistant Professor of Dramatic Arts
Brock University
ST 104 - 500 Glenridge Avenue
St Catharines, ON L2S 3A1
kfricker at brocku.ca
+ 1 (905) 688-5550 x 5780

Brock students' theatre criticism online: DARTcritics.com

Personal blog: karenfricker.wordpress.com