CFP: To Foreign Shores! Canadian Theatre Makers at Home and Abroad (seminar)

Yana Meerzon Yana.Meerzon at UOTTAWA.CA
Thu Jan 9 16:52:15 EST 2014

CFP: CATR/ACRT 2014

Canadian Association for Theatre Research / Association Canadienne de la Recherche Théâtrale
Conference
24-27 May 2014
Brock University

To Foreign Shores! Canadian Theatre Makers at Home and Abroad (seminar)

Call for Participants

The seminar invites interested participants to investigate dramatic and performative renderings of Canada in the dual context of the immigrant theatre artists' experiences within the country and abroad. It aims to explore the West-East/North-South dichotomies in Canadian theatre, both in English and French, focusing specifically on issues of language, space, spiritual and religious values, and identity.  It welcomes contributions searching for interdisciplinary methodological approaches from the fields of sociology and theatre, anthropology and performance studies, art and film history, semiotics, cognitive studies, and theory of literature and drama.

The auxiliary questions to be addressed are:

>    How is the figure of Other envisioned in the works of immigrant theatre artists working in Canada, Canadian artists-expatriates, established Canadian artists, in English and/or French?
>   How is Canada depicted through the works of recent immigrants, Canadian artists-expatriates; in English and/or French?
>   How do the experiences of nostalgia, displacement and cultural and linguistic othering mark these works?

 The seminar will accept no more than 12 (twelve) papers, no longer than 5000 words each.

The deadline to receive the proposals (250 words) is January 15, 2014; the due-date for the final papers is March 15, 2014.

In March 2014 I will distribute papers among the participants, who will be asked to read and provide feedback on each other's work; and to devise a list of questions arising from their discussions.

The seminar will unfold as a round-table discussion of the major questions raised during the online dialogue. It will finish with the Q-A session including the members of the audience.

Send your inquiries and proposals to ymeerzon at uottawa.ca<mailto:ymeerzon at uottawa.ca>

Yana Meerzon, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Theatre, University of Ottawa
135 Séraphin-Marion, Room 304B
Ottawa ON Canada, K1N 6N5
Telephone: 613 562-5800, ext. 2243

E-mail: ymeerzon at uOttawa.ca<mailto:ymeerzon at uOttawa.ca>