Art in Cities after Mega-Events Conference, SFU Woodward's, Aug. 13-16

Keren Zaiontz kzaiontz at SFU.CA
Mon Jul 21 16:33:12 EDT 2014

Dear Candrama colleagues,

Please find below information about 'The Life and Death of the Arts in Cities After Mega-Events' conference that I am co-convening with Peter Dickinson, Kirsty Johnston, and colleagues in Drama and Geography at Queen Mary, University of London. Our international gathering aims to take comparative stock of the cultural legacies of the 2010 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games in Vancouver and the 2012 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games in London.

The conference takes place Aug 13-16, in the World Art Centre at SFU Woodward's.

We have limited space for folks interested in participating in the panel and roundtable discussions to follow on Aug 14, 15, 16, as well as the art ambles in the city that will be part of our off-site activities. However, advance registration is required. Please visit our website at http://acme2014conference.wordpress.com/ and follow the relevant links to register.

August 13-16, World Art Centre, Goldcorp Centre for the Arts, SFU Woodward's The Life and Death of the Arts in Cities after Mega-Events is a research conference and public outreach event being co-organized by Simon Fraser University’s Department of English, the University of British Columbia’s Department of Theatre and Film, and the Queen Mary Drama Department, University of London. The conference aims to begin an international dialogue about the role of the arts in the production of urban mega-events, with a specific comparative focus on both the positive and negative cultural legacies of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games and the London 2012 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games. This event brings together academics, artists, cultural presenters, and urban planners from Canada and the UK in order to re-imagine the impact and relevance of the visual and performing arts in such large-scale events. Through panel presentations and roundtable discussions participants will generate new ways of understanding the pressured and paradoxical context of artists and cultural industries being commandeered to produce and promote much of the theatrical and affective experience of hallmark events, while at the same time frequently being subject to aggressive infrastructural and funding cuts once the event is over.

Visit http://acme2014conference.wordpress.com/ for more details on the schedule of events, and to register .

Generous financial support for this event has been provided by : the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada; the Department of English, SFU; the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, SFU; the Urban Studies Program, SFU; the Office of the Vice-President, Academic, SFU; the Office of the Vice-President, Research, SFU; the Department of Theatre and Film, UBC; the Faculty of Arts, UBC; the Queen Mary Drama Department, University of London; and the Queen Mary School of Geography, University of London.

--
Keren Zaiontz, PhD
Banting Postdoctoral Fellow

Reviews Editor, Performance Research