Request for some assistance

Martin Julien martin.julien at MAIL.UTORONTO.CA
Wed Jun 11 10:24:47 EDT 2014

It is an amazing book. (Though, truth be told, I haven't got through it, yet. Will I ever?) Derrida's very contested and influential  chapter "Signature Event Context" from  Limited Inc.also pithily addresses this concern.

http://www.mcgill.ca/files/crclaw-discourse/Signature_Event_Context.pdf?

Fun reading!

best,

Martin

________________________________
From: Canadian Theatre Research <CANDRAMA at listserv.unb.ca> on behalf of Jenn Cole <jenn.renard.cole at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: June 10, 2014 5:58 PM
To: CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA
Subject: Re: Request for some assistance

I agree with Ric - the whole book is the best way through! But the Artaud essay in Writing and Difference may also be helpful?

Jenn

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Ric Knowles <rknowles at uoguelph.ca<mailto:rknowles at uoguelph.ca>> wrote:
Hi Conrad,

Hmmm. It's the whole book. It's maybe most clear (if he can ever be accused of clarity) in the chapter on Saussure (pages 27-73 in Spivak's translation). But right off the top (page 3) he talks about the "ethnocentrism" of a structuralist logic that privileges phonetic writing as the supposed record of some mythical "originary" speech that is the supposed language of civilization and intelligence and the basis of metaphysics, while disregarding ideographic or pictographic writing traditions that have nothing to do with phonetics. But this is just the tip of the iceberg. Sorry, but I think you gotta read the whole book (and Spivak's amazing introduction to it).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ric

Editor, Theatre Journal
Professor of Theatre Studies
University of Guelph
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
N1G 2W1

ph: 519-824-4120, x52931<tel:519-824-4120%2C%20x52931> (w)
FAX: 519-824-0560<tel:519-824-0560>
email: rknowles at uoguelph.ca<mailto:rknowles at uoguelph.ca>
http://www.uoguelph.ca/sets/sets-ric-knowles