Dr. FREDDIE ROKEM: Distinguished Visiting Professor in Ottawa, March 24-29,2013

Joel Benabu j.benabu at UTORONTO.CA
Thu Mar 13 18:50:59 EDT 2014

Dear colleagues,

I wish to thank Professor Alexandrowicz for sharing his impressions of
the Israeli/Palestinian conflict via email. However, boycotting a
visiting academic who happens to be Israeli is not only impolite, but
a circuitous way of expressing reservations about Israel's domestic
policies.

Like Professor Egervari, I respect the individual's right to an
opinion, but I seriously question the ethics of endorsing a blanket
boycott against Israel which threatens to stifle not only academic
exchange but political dialogue too.

Sympathetic though I am to the official position Canadian professors
often take in championing the rights of the dispossessed, I would
strongly urge those who share Professor Alexandrowicz's sentiments to
consider forms of advocacy that do not discriminate against
individuals based on their nationality.

I look forward to learning about theatre from Professor Rokem.

Regards,
Joel Benabu
Visiting Professor
Department of Theatre