Equity in Theatre (EIT) Website Launch

Rebecca Burton becca_burton3 at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 20 10:12:22 EDT 2015

Hello Everyone,
Below is a press release announcing the launch of the EIT website. We will be adding additional resources to the site as we go along.
Please check it out if you get a chance.
Cheers,
Rebecca
Rebecca BurtonEIT Co-Organizer
--
For Immediate Release

(TORONTO, ON – April 17, 2015) Equity in
Theatre (EIT) is proud to announce the launch of our new website.

Given the decline in rates of representation for women playwrights in recent
years, and the trickledown effect this has in other areas (such as directing,
acting, and design), EIT is working to
redress existent gender inequities in the Canadian theatre industry. The new
website provides an interactive platform for artistic directors, theatre
creators, and spectators to engage with women in theatre and find practical
tools to address inequities in the sector.

The
EIT website acts as an informational hub. One
of the main components is a searchable Database
Directory of Canadian women theatre
practitioners, which allows people to easily locate professional women working
in various fields. With this feature, the EIT team hopes to increase access to
and the visibility of women on stage and in the performance community. Artists
can visit the website and submit biographies and photos to be included in the
Directory.

A Calendar of Events provides listings of
EIT initiatives, play productions by women, other events, and social actions
taking place across the country. The Calendar provides a virtual space to share
happenings and coordinate actions throughout Canada.

The
website also has a Resources page with links to relevant articles,
studies, activities, and international organizations working to improve gender
parity in theatre and performance. These materials demonstrate the incredible
work that has already been done internationally to address equity in the arts.

With
our new online presence, Equity in Theatre will continue to foster dialogue on
an (inter)national scale, develop social actions that will help effect change,
and generate greater awareness of and exposure to Canadian women in theatre. We
invite you to visit the website for more information at: http://eit.playwrightsguild.ca/

Our
sincerest thanks to Ontario Trillium
Foundation for making this project possible!

-30-