Stories from the Generation Gap / Aug. 20-23 / Centre for Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies

Rebecca Biason rebecca.biason at UTORONTO.CA
Thu Jun 25 16:54:01 EDT 2015

Stories from the Generation Gap

August 20-23, 2015
Centre for Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies
Robert Gill Theatre
                                                     214 College Street - 3rd Floor
Written and Directed by Cameron Crookston
Sponsored by the Centre for Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies

            The University of Toronto’s Centre for Drama Theatre and Performance Studies invites you to attend the premiere of Stories from the Generation Gap a verbatim play built out of original interviews with queer men and women conducted by playwright Cameron Crookston. His conversations emerge from diverse corners of the gay community, exposing the complicated space of culture, economics, gender, and of course, age. Ranging in age from their late teens to their early sixties, the voices in this play bring harrowing, human stories of sexuality, community, role models and political identity. The result is a gathering of people that speak to, past, and over each other, in a play that questions “how can we live together” and “who the hell is ‘we’, anyway?”
Unlike Toronto’s hundreds of cultural communities, gay men and women do not give birth to their next generation.  They don’t gather around the family table to tell stories of “you kids today, you don’t even know where you come from”.  Queer youth are not raised by the elders of their own community. Without this kinship to yesterday, how do they learn about their own history?  “Gay” identity?  What’s going to happen to the stories of Stonewall, the Bathhouse Riots, the AIDS epidemic, the first Pride parade, when there’s no one left to tell the story?

Show Times
Thursday August 20- 8pm (reception to follow)
Friday August 21- 8pm
Saturday August 22- 8pm
Sunday August 23 – 2pm

There is no charge to attend Stories from the Generation Gap, however we strongly recommend reserving a ticket in advance as seating is limited.
Please contact the Centre for Drama, Theatre, and Performance Studies by email at rsvp.dramacentre at gmail.com
For media or press inquiries please contact Rebecca Biason at: 416-978-7987 or by email: rebecca.biason at utoronto.ca
https://www.facebook.com/events/884103834976421/