Infromation on Allied Ars Centre

James Dugan jdugan at UCALGARY.CA
Mon Mar 30 14:27:25 EDT 2015

David's memory is good, but I am matching it against mine, which also could be fuzzy.  The Theatre Calgary staff list does not list an archivist, but I suggest you start with Shari Wattling, an artistic associate for new play development, 403-294-7440, X1062.  Mention my name.  No one on the current staff was around in Allied Arts Centre days.  Sharon Pollock was AD and had Doc staged in that theatre; spdrama at telus.net. When Martin Kinch wa AD, I think he worked the first year in the Allied Arts Centre before the move to the new Arts Centre.  He staged his version of A Christmas Carol there.

One thing I do know is that the TC offices were not in the Centre. They were in a building several blocks away on tenth ave.

Good luck,

Jim
From: Canadian Theatre Research [CANDRAMA at listserv.unb.ca] on behalf of David Ferry [appledor at SYMPATICO.CA]
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2015 9:00 AM
To: CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA
Subject: Re: Infromation on Allied Ars Centre

I performed in both Frances  Hyland's production of "Playboy of the Western World" and Jean Gascon's "Elephant Man" there. The stage was a traditional proscenium arch with an auditorium that I think sat about 450 raked up from the stage. It had flies. The acoustics were ok .

Backstage was sufficient with dressing rooms downstairs. I would say the stage was at least 35 feet wide and 30 feet deep

That is all from fuzzy memory, sorry. I have memories particularly from Playboy of having a good piece of real estate to move on...wing space where I did quick changes. Space enough behind the set that the townspeople could all congregate there before the scene where I was (as Christy) trussed up ready to be marked by Pegeen with a hot poker.

And from Elephant Man significant dressing room space.

I think the offices where in the same building..but not sure.

Daf

David Ferry
Appledore Productions
416 433 5826
appledor at sympatico.ca<mailto:appledor at sympatico.ca>
davidferry.workbooklive.com<http://davidferry.workbooklive.com>

Try again. Fail again. Fail better. (Samuel Beckett. Worstward ho.)