Graduate Programs in Fine Arts, University of ReginaCANDRAMA-request at LISTSERV.UNB.CA

Kathleen Irwin Kathleen.Irwin at UREGINA.CA
Fri Nov 20 19:30:39 EST 2015

Call for Applications: Graduate Programs in Fine Arts, University of
Regina

Deadline: January 15, 2016.

We invite applications in the following areas:

MFA/MA - Interdisciplinary Studies
MFA/MA - Media Production/Media Studies
MMus/MA - Master of Music/Music
MFA - Visual Arts
MFA/MA, Special Case - Theatre
PHD, Special Case - across our areas of study

The Faculty of Fine Arts explores contemporary media, art, and
performance practices, and their histories and theories, in innovative
and imaginative ways. Graduate programs offer core theoretical seminars,
intensive hands-on practices, and diverse courses taught by experienced
faculty to facilitate individualized study programs. Research projects
led by instructors provide training opportunities and funding. Support
is also available through Graduate Studies Scholarships, Teaching
Assistantships, and Graduate Student Assistantships. Our funded research
initiatives include the Interactive Media and Performance (IMP) Labs,
Regina Improvisation Studies Centre (RISC), and the Saskatchewan
Partnership for Arts Development (SPAR). We host a program of
Artists-in-Residence in Socially Engaged Practice, who interact with
students to develop professional skills and networks. Our Creative
Technology Makerspace is a vibrant lab for community interaction. Regina
is home to several public galleries, artist run centres, private
galleries, screening facilities, exhibition and performance spaces, many
of which can provide Graduate-level professional placements.

VISUAL ARTS
The Visual Arts MFA focuses on studio art production in and across
mediums, and its contextualization within contemporary practice and
critical discourse. The MFA Visual Arts culminates with a solo
exhibition at Saskatchewan's largest public art gallery, preparing
students for their lives as professional artists. Faculty expertise
supports ceramics, drawing, painting, photo media, print media,
sculpture, extended media practices, the histories of collecting,
curating, and museum studies, First Nations art, and early modern
European art. Our students work in spacious studios and have access to
extensive production equipment and resources, including metal casting
facilities, kilns, archival digital printers, a carpentry shop and UV
silkscreen printing in a non-toxic environment.

FILM
The Department of Film teaches film and digital media in an
interdisciplinary environment, preparing students to realize their paths
as film and media artists, critics, historians, educators, curators and
craftspeople. At the graduate level we offer the MFA in Media
Productions and the MA in Media Studies taught by faculty actively
engaged in scholarly and creative projects. Graduates have gone on to
award-winning careers across Canada and internationally. They work as
independent filmmakers and producers, directors, screenwriters, editors,
and cinematographers in series television and on national and
international fiction, documentary and animation productions. Our grads
have careers as festival programmers, researchers, archivists and
educators. Film has 4K and HD video cameras, 16mm film cameras, a
production studio, digital editing suites, audio post-production
facilities and a photography darkroom.

INTERDISCIPLINARY STUDIES
New technologies, markets, and research methodologies require inventive
approaches that respond to individual circumstances. Combining community
and social engagement with diverse arts practices, Indigenous arts with
curatorial theory, media studies with electronic music,
performance-based practice with visual arts, bringing together creative
technologies, or exploring new directions in culture and display in
institutional settings * these are some of the ways our
Interdisciplinary Studies graduates have formulated thesis-based or
practice-based graduate projects into new careers. The Faculty of Fine
Arts collaborates with other faculty members from across the University
in our Interdisciplinary Studies MFA and newly redesigned one-year MA
programs.

THEATRE
The Theatre Department offers students the opportunity to work with
experienced professionals in two state-of-the-art theatres, movement and
rehearsal studios, design and CAD labs, and costume and carpentry shops.
Students who have graduated with MFA degrees have explored directing,
playwriting and dramaturgy going on to achieve profession careers in
their fields. We also participate actively in graduating students
through Special Case MFAs and the Interdisciplinary Studies program
where students have, for example, investigated playwriting / walking
performance, critical costume / gender identity, scenography,
installation / performance, queer performativity, disability theatre and
education, theatre / business administration and conducting / design.

MUSIC
Opportunities for master's-level study in music include: 1)
traditionally oriented programs: the MMus with concentration in one of
Performance, Conducting or Composition and the MA in the areas of
Musicology or Music Theory; 2) the Interdisciplinary MFA in which music
research may combine two or more of: creative technologies; music
composition for multimedia; musicology; socially engaged performance
practice; improvisation; and interdisciplinary approaches to solo
performance or conducting.

For more information about our graduate programs:
http://www.uregina.ca/finearts/areas-study/grad-studies

To learn about our faculty visit:
http://www.uregina.ca/finearts/faculty-staff

FACULTY OF FINE ARTS