A Conversation on the State of Canadian Theatre: Redux presented by the Centre for Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies / Oct. 28

Rebecca Biason rebecca.biason at UTORONTO.CA
Mon Oct 19 12:08:48 EDT 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
A Conversation on the State of Canadian Theatre: Redux
October 28, 2015
7:30pm
Centre for Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies
Robert Gill Theatre
214 College Street - 3rd Floor
Free Admission
Hosted by Martin Julien
Featuring Guest Speakers: Paul Thompson, Rosamund Small, Jennifer Brewin and Beatriz Pizano
TORONTO - In 1973 four Canadian theatre artists got together, in a TV studio with an audience, to discuss the future of Canadian theatre. Carole Bolt, David Bolt, Bill Glassco, Paul Thompson, and Richard Plant were key players in this discussion. We invite you to step back in time with us as we revisit this newly digitized video more than 40 years later, where the fate of Canadian theatre still remains an integral question. Returning to the stage is Paul Thompson, along with newly emerging and established theatre artists, Rosamund Small, Jennifer Brewin and Beatriz Pizano where they shall once again openly discuss the state of Canadian theatre.
Hosted by Martin Julien, a current PhD candidate at the Centre for Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies, this panel discussion looks to revision and reassess some of the key questions and observations from four decades ago, including "How does a company or artist build on success?", "What should the international focus of our work be?", "How are new plays dramaturged, nurtured, and produced?" and "How to sustain an engaged audience?", as well as pressing contemporary concerns such as arts funding and political theatre, sustaining institutions, and championing diversity.
Media Inquiries: rebecca.biason at utoronto.ca or 416-978-7987
http://dramacentre.utoronto.ca https://www.facebook.com/events/1637677369826045/