[Candrama] Ma and PhD programs - McGill

Erin Hurley, Prof. erin.hurley at mcgill.ca
Fri Dec 16 08:37:19 EST 2016

Dear Friends,

I hope you'll bring our graduate program to your students' attention. I'd be happy to respond to any questions.

With thanks and best wishes,

Erin

MA / PhD programs in Drama and Theatre
Department of English, McGill University

The Department of English of McGill University is now accepting applications to our MA and PhD programs. We welcome applicants working in Theatre Studies (Early Modern to 21st Century), as well as those with interdisciplinary projects that cross Theatre Studies with Cultural Studies and/or English Literary Studies.

The English Department at McGill – including drama and theatre, English literature, and cultural studies – is an excellent environment to prepare students for dynamic interdisciplinary research. Drama and Theatre faculty members bring diverse approaches to the study of theatre, including Marxist analysis, critical ethnography, archival research, queer and critical race theory, theatre historiography, feminist methodologies, and affect theory. Each year the Department of English offers approximately twenty-five semester-long graduate courses<https://www.mcgill.ca/english/graduate/2016-17-courses>, covering a broad range of drama and theatre, English literature, and Cultural Studies. Recent Theatre Studies offerings have included:  Transvestism and the Performance of Gender on the 18th-Century Stage; 19th-century Melodrama; Theatre and Diaspora; Contemporary Tragedy; and Feminist Theatre in North America.

Master’s Program:<https://www.mcgill.ca/english/graduate/handbook/ma> The MA in McGill’s Department of English is a rigorous program of study that can serve either as a culminating academic experience in itself, or as strong preparation for further study at the doctoral level. Our program, which can be completed in either one or two years, features not only a range of seminars in theatre history, performance theory and dramatic literature, but also complementary courses in Cultural and Literary Studies. Each Master’s student will have the opportunity to work one-on-one with a faculty member to develop either a thesis or a major research paper.

PhD Program<https://www.mcgill.ca/english/graduate/handbook/phd>: Our doctoral program allows students to train intensively in Theatre Studies, with faculty educated at top programs in Canada, the United States, and the UK. For PhDs, we offer courses in theatre history, performance theory, and dramatic literature, as well as those in the adjacent fields of Cultural Studies and Literary Studies. Our small, selective PhD cohort ensures close attention by supervisors and clear advising and support structures. Current and former doctoral students have researched topics including: queer temporality in contemporary Shakespearean performance; the dangerous comedy of 18th-Century women playwrights; the home in 20th-century Irish drama; trauma and modernist drama; place-making in North American cities; and the affective dynamics of space in post-dramatic theatre.

The department, located in the historic Arts Building at the heart of the McGill campus in downtown Montreal, Quebec, is home to a 300-seat proscenim arch theatre and a black-box performance space. It has links with annual contemporary theatre and film festivals as well as with a vibrant multilingual performance scene. We offer a competitive funding<https://www.mcgill.ca/english/graduate/handbook/funding> package.

Graduate Program Drama and Theatre faculty include:

  *   Sean Carney<https://www.mcgill.ca/english/staff/sean-carney>: Brecht; contemporary English tragedy; comics and the graphic novel
  *   Erin Hurley<https://www.mcgill.ca/english/staff/erin-hurley>: Quebec theatre; performance theory; performance and identity; theatre and feeling
  *   Fiona Ritchie<https://www.mcgill.ca/english/staff/fiona-ritchie>: Shakespeare; Restoration and 18th-Century theatre history; gender and theatre history; Shakespeare and adaptation
  *   Denis Salter:<https://www.mcgill.ca/english/staff/denis-salter> Canadian drama and theatre; history of Shakespeare in performance; 19th-century stage history; cultural pluralism, social activism and the stage
  *   Katherine Zien<https://www.mcgill.ca/english/staff/katherine-zien>: theatre and performance in the Americas (North America, Latin America, and the Caribbean); African diaspora studies; Western hemispheric studies postcolonial theory; critical race studies; critical ethnography.

For more information visit: www.mcgill.ca/english/graduate<http://www.mcgill.ca/english/graduate>

_________

Erin Hurley, Professor

Department of English