Fwd: Casting call

Greg Doran Gdoran at UPEI.CA
Wed Feb 17 11:22:49 EST 2016

I received this casting call from a colleague. Not much that I can do from PEI. I hope others will find it helpful.

Greg

CASTING CALL (pls repost widely!): WOMEN 25-40 and 40-65 for 2-WEEK UK TOUR (plus Toronto showings) of THE PRIDE OF LIFE/MANKIND ($1000 stipend plus all travel expenses)
PLS, an indie theatre company affiliated with the U of T, produces medieval English plays (from way before Shakespeare!), presenting them at theatres, universities, and public spaces in Toronto and worldwide.
We're seeking a NON-UNION WOMAN, 25-40 or 40-65 to play the medieval roles of "Mercy" and "Mirth" in our two short all-woman ensemble farce-comedies, with showings in the UK and Toronto this summer --
a double bill of THE PRIDE OF LIFE (from the year c. 1375) and MANKIND (from 1464), semi-adapted into modern English.
Co-directed by Ara Glenn-Johanson (a US choreographer/director: A.R.T., NYCFringe, etc) and Matthew Milo Sergi (U of T early drama expert). Both shows are "morality plays" (cartoonish personified emotions and concepts compete to influence human behaviour); our take on the plays is irreverent, campy, dirty, and genuinely hilarious.
* Women of ALL body types and ALL races/ethnicities are strongly encouraged to audition. Trans performers of all genders also welcome. (The medieval roles were written for a "manly man"; our production messes with/makes fun of gender).
* Singing a plus, but not required. Prior experience with Shakespeare and/or improv and/or clown also very helpful.
* A strong, loud voice is essential. Medieval-style performance must be adaptable to a variety of spaces (indoor and outdoor), so our Mercy/Mirth must be able to improvise, to interact, to make big choices, and to be seen and heard from far away and across crowds.
COMPENSATION:
Each performer will receive an honorarium of $1000 CAD,
plus a $65 CAD per diem fee for every day spent abroad (14 days).
The production will fully cover plane tickets, lodging (2 people per room) and all necessary travel in the UK.
Actors will also receive a cut of any money donated by audience during performances.
DATES:
**16 May thru 3 July**: six weeks of rehearsals in Toronto, with about 6-9 hours of rehearsal per week (more in the final weeks).
**5 July thru 18 July**: performances across England (Leeds, Durham, London, Birmingham) -- in conjunction with universities and/or local theatres, we'll appear in town squares, indie spaces, university campuses, and a 770-seat London playhouse.
**29 July thru 7 August**: we'll do two weekends of additional site-specific showings in Toronto, primarily at Majlis Art Garden.
AUDITIONS/HOW TO SUBMIT:
Auditions are Fri 4 Mar (3pm to 10pm) and Sat 5 Mar (11am to 6pm) by appointment; if you can't make these dates, email us and we may be able to set up a separate appointment.
Prepare a 1-2 minute monologue in verse (Shakespeare is fine, or any other poetic text).
We may ask you to cold read from sides and improv a bit as well.
Please email headshot and resume to Dawn at mankind2016uk at gmail.com to schedule an audition time. No need to bring hard copies.

Richard Raiswell

Dept. of History,
Univ. of PEI
550 University Ave.,
Charlottetown, PEI
C1A 4P3

Fellow, Centre for Reformation and Renaissance Studies,
Victoria University in the Univ. of Toronto.
CONFIDENTIAL | CONFIDENTIEL This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and/or privileged information. Please contact the sender immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed. | Ce message contient des renseignements qui peuvent être confidentiels ou protégés. Il s'adresse au destinataire prévu ou à une personne autorisée à le recevoir en son nom. Si vous l'avez reçu par erreur, nous vous prions d'en informer l'auteur dans les meilleurs der son contenu et de le supprimer de votre système.