First university-level Canadian Literature and Canadian Drama courses in Canada

Alan Filewod afilewod at UOGUELPH.CA
Mon Feb 22 17:16:29 EST 2016

Having looked at the archival traces and the pages of the OAC Review, my conclusion is that there was no drama component in that course. The first actual full course in Canadian Literature , taught by the same Physics professor who had introduced the subject at Mac Inst was in 1910, at the Ontario Agricultural College, with which the Mac Institute was affiliated. Wilfrid Campbell was on the syllabus and visited the campus, so perhaps students were subjected to a reading of his execrably freakish verse tragedy Mordred (but more likely they were bombarded with his white-supremacist poetry).

cheers
Alan
----- Original Message -----

From: "Kathryn Harvey" <kaharvey at UOGUELPH.CA>
To: CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA
Sent: Monday, 22 February, 2016 4:07:25 PM
Subject: Re: First university-level Canadian Literature and Canadian Drama courses in Canada

Hi Moira, all,

The Macdonald Institute, which was one of the three founding colleges of the University of Guelph, began teaching Canadian Literature in its English Literature course offerings in 1907. Margery Fee's article called "Canadian Literature and English Studies in the Canadian University" ( Essays in Canadian Writing 1992/93 Issue 48) provides a good account of the subject's evolution.

I haven't been able--in my admittedly cursory review--to discern whether there was any Canadian drama component...

Cheers,
Kathryn

Kathryn Harvey
Head, Archival and Special Collections (On leave until Fall 2016)
University of Guelph Library
50 Stone Road East
Guelph, ON N1G 2W1

519-824-4120, ext. 52089 (w)