First university-level Canadian Literature and Canadian Drama courses in Canada

Day, Moira moira.day at USASK.CA
Thu Feb 25 07:15:33 EST 2016

Hi Gerda,

Thanks for chiming in. At least two other sources mentioned McGill as having a fairly early course in CanLit. It sounds as if you had a uniquely enriching experience with both teachers and fellow-students alike.

Moira
On Feb 24, 2016, at 5:26 PM, Gerda Grice <ggrice at SYMPATICO.CA<mailto:ggrice at SYMPATICO.CA>> wrote:

I was at McGill as an undergraduate between 1952 and 1955.  While I was there, I was able to take two half courses in Canadian Literature.   One half was the Canadian Novel taught by Hugh MacLennan and the other half was poetry taught by Louis Dudek.  Another undergraduate there during the same period was Leonard Cohen.  To the best of my remembrance, there were no offering in Canadian Dram at that time.  I would definitely have taken one if there had been.

Gerda Grice

From: Canadian Theatre Research [mailto:CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA] On Behalf Of Kym Bird
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 4:19 PM
To: CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA<mailto:CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA>
Subject: Re: First university-level Canadian Literature and Canadian Drama courses in Canada

I was just looking at the Mavor Moore fonds in the Clara Thomas Archives and they are substantial.

Clara Thomas Archives and Special Collections<http://www.library.yorku.ca/web/archives>
Phone: 416-736-5442 [Monday – Friday 10:00am – 4:30pm]
Email: archives at yorku.ca<mailto:archives at yorku.ca>

You may want to speak with an archivist named: Michael Moir

If I can look at these records for you, let me know.  Kym