Looking for Information

SCOTT DUCHESNE sduches1 at ROGERS.COM
Thu Jun 2 09:48:02 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,
I'm annotating a critical edition of Roy Mitchell's "Creative Theatre" (1929), and I've come across this passage:
"At a moment when thegreater part of America is theatreless there is more interest in theatre thanever before in history. Its scripts, so recently the subject of a secrettraffic, are now available in book form and readers are projecting a theatrethey cannot attend."

I've been trying to track down what he's referring to, but I was wondering if anyone might know. I'd appreciate any guidance/insight.
Cheers!