Julia Arthur Information

Brian Morton mortonbg1999 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 11 00:11:15 EDT 2016

Hello there:

I am Hamilton, Ontario playwright working on a play about the 19th
Century Canadian actress Julia Arthur, (whose real name was Ida
Lewis), for the past two years.    It has involved a great deal of
research, as you might imagine.    I am not an academic researcher -
but getting the details correct is important to me.

I have been subscribed to this listserv on and off since 1990s.  I
have been meaning to post a request for info here for some time now,
and as it looks like it may perhaps it may be coming to an end this
may be my final opportunity to do so.

I do hope that the listserv will survive in some form.  I think it is
too valuable a resource to lose.

I believe that Denis Salter - who wrote the best article on her life
back in 1984 is subscribed to this listserv as is Ann Saddlemyer  -
there is a reference to Arthur using the stage name Nellie Hazlewood
in 1884 in her book  Early Stages in Ontario - that I would be
grateful for specific information on.

What I am looking for are primary sources - interviews are especially
valuable - as it gives me some idea of how she spoke, as well as any
leads on four eras of her life in what follows below.  Any leads - or
ideas would help me.  Feel free to share them off list if you think it
would not be of interest to anyone else.

The play focuses on Julia Arthur's biography in four specific periods
in her life.

1) Between the ages of 15 and 18 years old using her own name of Ida
Lewis during her  time with the Daniel E. Bandmann / Louise Beaudet
touring company between her professional debut in March 1884 through
to her leaving the company after her short and  disastrous first
marriage to Frank Enos in the spring of 1887.

Although she never admitted to it publicly she had a son (named George
Arthur Enos) in the summer of 1887 - likely while in the UK.  The boy
was raised by his father, and was the half brother to the noted film
director Busby Berkeley.

She next reappears in October of 1997 in San Francisco California
where she joins the Kate Forsyth company in a production of Anson
Pond's HER ATONEMENT, now using the stage name Julia Arthur.

2) In the summer of 1891 while living in NYC and she appears in The
Black Masque by Frederick R Giles adapted from Edgar Allen Poe's
Masque of the Red Death

I am looking for a copy of the play text of Frederick R Giles' 1891
stage adaptation of Edgar Allen Poe’s short story THE MASQUE OF THE
RED DEATH entitled THE BLACK MASQUE, which was the play that brought
Julia Arthur her initial fame in New York and led to her engagement
with the A.M. Palmer Company.

3)  Her second tour in 1898 as the star of the Julia Arthur company in
A LADY OF QUALITY.  The playscript by  Francis Hodgson Burnett and
Stephen Townesend is in the Lord Chamberlain's files in the British
Museum.  Not sure how to get hold of a copy but at least I know that
it still exists.

And 4) her final performances the North American touring production of
Shaw's ST JOAN, which opened in Toronto in October 1924 and across
North America continued until May of 1926.  The tours of Canada seem
to be in the spring of 1925 (Ontario) and the early part of 1926 in
Western Canada.

My play is set (in various time periods, 1885, 1898 and 1925) at the
Grand Opera House on James Street here in Hamilton.

I have also been trying to find out details of her immediate family.
She was one of 16 children - (although only 14 survived to become
adults).

Her parents were Thomas J. Lewis (c 1835 - d 27 Jan 1914) who was a
Tobacco Manufacturer and Hannah "Anna" Arthur Lewis  (c 1844- April 9,
1915).

I am particularly interested in two of her siblings as their story is
key to my play.

Her sister Eleanor  Letitia Lewis (born c 1876), married Frederick C
Pardridge a Chicago stockbroker on 23 Jan 1895 at Hamilton.  Divorce
1904,  Died May 8, 1908 and is buried next to parents Hamilton
Cemetery. She died at 32 y.o.   I am still looking for how she died.

Also her younger brother Thomas F. Lewis Jnr. (c 1870 - died at age 15
on May 22, 1886), (The burial plot belonged to a George Lewis -
grandfather?)   He is buried in the Hamilton cemetery on York Blvd. -
"Church of Ascension lot C lot 297 5 1/2"

The family lived at 31 Maria Street (which was later renamed Forest
Ave.) between 1865 and 1884.     The family then later moved to 41
Spring Street (1885 - 1894) , 154 James Street South (1894 - 1904) and
finally to 312 Bay Street South (1904-1916).

>From the fact that Thomas Jnr. is buried in the Church of the
Ascension part of the Hamilton Cemetery, and the Father's 1871 census
declaration that he was "Church of England" I presume he and the rest
of the Lewis family were part of the congregation at the Church of the
Ascension.  Julia Arthur = at least later in life seems to have been
Catholic.

In her private life, did she use Julia or Ida?   In all of her
correspondence it seems to have been Julia Arthur (or Mrs Benjamin P
Cheney).  I do know she called her second husband Benjamin Cheney
"Peircey"  privately.

I am grateful for any help with this project.

All the best

Brian Morton
Theatre Erebus Inc.

References so far collected:   Just so as not to repeat any leads.

(Feel free not to read any further if you are unable to help - these
are just grabbed from my raw notes to show what i have found already.
Much of this research springs from Professor Salter's writings to whom
I am most grateful.).

Thursday April 3, 1884 Plays Portia at a benefit for John Townsend at
the Grand Opera House in Hamilton  (HAMILTON SPEC of April 4, 1884)

Hamilton Ont - March 24 - 28 1885

In March 1885 the German actor-manager Daniel E. Bandmann, arrived in
Hamilton with his company to stage his standard repertoire at the
Grand Theatre.

Julia Arthur's professional debut took place in her hometown at the
Grand Theatre on 26 March 1885 when she played Maritana the ballad
singer in Don Caesar de Bazan. On 28 March she and her sister Allie
performed as the young princes in Bandmann's mainstay production of
Richard III. Not long after, Bandmann took the company on an extended
tour, first of Canada and then of the United States.

Hamilton perfuse Bandmann Company see the Hamilton Spectator 23, 25,
26, and 28 March 1885

NY Dramatic Mirror March 28, 1885
Hamilton . Grand Opera House (J.M> Lathrop, Manager):
Star Specialty drew a fair house March 23 and gave an excellent
performance.  Bandmann and Florence Elmore were both booked and billed
for the rest of the week, but, Elmore giving way, Bandmann filled out
the week, drawing good houses at low prices.  Ida Lewis, of this city,
who has been studying under the veteran actor, John Townsend, made her
debut with Bandmann this week and will continue with his company.

NY Clipper April 4, 85
CANADA .
Hamilton .
At the Grand the Bandmann - Beaudet Co. closed March 28, after a
season of five nights (with matinees) to large business.  The trouble
between Bandmann and Miss Elmore has been settled and the lady will
appear later in the season.  Ida Lewis of this city made her debut
upon the dramatic stage at the matinee March 26 in the drama of "Don
Caesar de Bazan" assuming the character of Maritana and playing it in
an intelligent manner. The local press speak in glowing terms of Miss
Lewis first appearance, and there is reason to hope that a bright
prospect is before her.  Harry MacLean, manager of the Bandmann -
Beaudet Co. made many friends during his stay here. Miss Adele
Fitz-Allen, who on her last appearance with the Bandmann Co., was
suffering from an extreme cold, became a favourite with Hamilton
theatre goers

Bandmann - Detroit Opera House - Detroit, Mich., March 30-April 4 ,
Utica , N . Y ., 6-11 .

Detroit - week of March 30 - April 4 week of
April 3, 4, 5 1885 at Detroit Opera House with Bandmann
D . E . Bandmann appeared all last week, giving eight performances at
cheap prices to good houses . Hamlet , Merchant of Venice . Hunchback,
Othello, Richelieu, Romeo and Juliet and Richard III were given.

Utica NY April 6 to 11 at Utica Opera House - "Engagement cancelled by
Bandmann week of 11"

1886

Pensacola, Fla., April 5-10, 1886
The Bandmann - Beaudet Co. came supplementing their mimic tragedies
with a real one on April 6. While the tragedian was out on the bay in
a boat containing two ladies of the company, one of the latter, Miss
Ida Lewis, fell overboard opposite Palafox wharf. She was in danger of
drowning, when Bandmann jumped in and held her until a passing boat
came up and rescued both. They were much exhausted.

Atlanta April 12-17
Atlanta GA Week of April 12 At Degive's Opera House corner of Marietta
and Broad (not Forsyth), was then purchased, and the firm of Fay &
Corput designed the new opera house which was dedicated on February
22, 1871.
The opera house was expanded in 1873-4 to accommodate over 2,000
people. In 1893, DeGive opened the new, larger DeGive's Grand Opera
House, which would later become Loew's Grand Theatre, at Peachtree and
Forsyth. The original DeGive's Opera House was later occupied by the
Columbia Theater and later by the Bijou Theater. The building was
demolished in 1921 to make way for the construction of the Palmer
Building.

D . E . Bandmann announced for one week, commencing 12.
Atlanta , Ga ., AprU 12-17 ,
D. E. Bandmann and Louise Beaudet closed a weeks engagement 17 to good
business .

Jacksonville FL April 19 week of (pencilled in dates)
Augusta GA 19-24
Augusta GA April 26 week of
Augusta , Ga ., April 19-21 .
The Bandmann - Beaudet Co. will follow with a week of tragedy ,
opening 26 . to popular prices l .15, 25 . 35. cents.

Another route - Jacksonville . Fla., April 19-24 .

Macon , Ga ., April 26-May 1 . Savannah May 3-8 . Another route
Augusta, Ga ., April 26 - May 1.

Macon GA 26-May 1. Academy
Macon GA - May 3, 86 week   JA turns 17
Macon . We have had nothing to tho professional line since the
Bandmann Co . put in a week , and they deserved better attendances.
The professional dramatic season may be regarded as over .

Savannah GA May 3 week
Savannah GA May 3-8,

Knoxville , Tenn., May 10-15 .  at Staub's New Theatre
For week of 10, the Bandmann - Beaudet Co . at popular prices.
DE Bandman's Co. are announced for the week of May 10 -15 at Popular
prices - 15, 25, 35 cents.  They open with Merchant of Venice.
Knoxville - The season is about ended. Manager Staub has nothing book
for this week.  The Bandmann - Beaudet Co. had only fair audiences
last week.  Miss Beaudet left the company here for New York, expecting
to sail for Europe on May 14. They finish the season at Lynchburg, VA,
this week.

May 22, 1886 - Brother Thomas F Lewis dies - JA unable to attend funeral.

Lynchburg, VA. May 17-22
Coming : The Bandmann - Beaudet Co., opening 17 with Othello for one
week Geo. T. Braden, the advance of Bandmann, is in the city hustling
.
As I wired you last week, D. E. Bandmann opened May 17 for one week.
Othello, Narcisee, Merchant of Venice, Corsican Brothers, Hamlet and
the double bill of Don Cesar de Bazan and Dora were done during the
week, while The Lady of Lyons was done at the matinee to exceedingly
good business - so much so that he has prolonged his stay three more
nights . 24 , 25 , 26 , when Richelieu, Romeo and Juliet and Richard
III will constitute the bills. Mr. Bandmann , Misses Lewis and Lyman
and W. R. Owen established themselves as favourites, and were called
before the curtain frequently. Miss Lyman was the recipient of a
beautiful floral design, measuring 28 x 18 in., from the Lynchburg
baseball club . She was agreeably surprised, and sent them a note of
thanks. Mr. Bandmann will spend some time in New York and on his farm
out West, after leaving here, but sails in June for Germany, where he
will secure a new play for next season . Little Cladine Emerson of
this city will appear in Richard III as the Duke of York.  She is the
daughter of C A Emerson of this city.  W. R. Owen . present
leading-man with Bandmann, and a very promising young actor, does
leading-juveniles with Rhea next season. George T. Braden left very
suddenly 19 to join his brother in Tipton, Ind.  Mr. Handel goes to
Dakota to spend some time with his daughter. Louis Gossin returns to
Cincinnati. Miss Lewis and Miss Keith go to New York. Miss Lyman goes
to her home in Cleveland, Ohio. She is to star next season in a piece
written for her . George T. Braden will be her business - manager.

Nashville Tenn - May 30, 1886 week (Pencilled in dates?? NY dramatic Mir)

1887
At the Springfield Musee. Departed 19- D E Bandmann , to good houses .
The bill was changed nightly.

Trenton, N.J. Feb 21-26
Feb 21-26 week in Trenton NJ

Monday, Feb 21, 1887 - "Dukes Motto"  (Trenton Times says the play was
THE DUKE'S DAUGHTER"
February 22 and 23, 1887 Opera House in Trenton NJ in Woman of the People
February 24, 1887 Opera House in Trenton NJ in Merchant of Venice

Feb 22 1887 Marries Frank Enos married at Trenton, N.J., or was it
Feb. 27, 1887?? (Divorce petition)

Source:  Trenton Evening Times - N. J.
Dated: Feb. 22, 1887
An Actress and Actor Married.
     Miss Ida Lewis, of Hamilton, Ontario and Mr. Francis Melxer Enos,
of Mansfield, Ohio, were married at the "West End", (a restaurant -
bm) on West State street this afternoon, the ceremony being quietly
performed by Rev. Dr. Studdiford, of the Third Presbyterian Church.
The bride and groom are members of the Bandsmann Beaudet Theatrical
Company, now performing at the Opera House.  Last evening Mrs. Enos
impersonated the character of "Madame de Laylus,"  in "The Duke's
Daughter." (Actually  Madame Blanche de Caylus - bm). She is a very
clever actress and has made many warm friends in this city during her
several engagements at the Opera House.

Enos 	EN 	15 April, 1890 	A petition for divorce was filed today in
common please court in which Melzar F. Enos is plaintiff and Ida F.
Lewis is defendant.  They were married at Trenton, N.J., Feb. 27,
1887.  At that time they were both members of the company supporting
Daniel Bandmann, the eccentric German tragedian.  Mrs. Enos, whose
professional name is used in the petition, deserted her husband April
4, 1887, but a little more than a month after they were married, and
she has since been absent.  The separation was brought about through
the influence of Bandmann and Mrs. Enos' parents.  The only grounds on
which divorce is asked is willful absence for the past three years.
  	WE 	19 June 1890	Melzar F. Enos vs. Ida Lewis-Enos.  Divorce granted.

Trenton,NJ., Feb. 21-26
At Taylor's Opera house , Coming : 21-26  D. E. Bandmann.  One of the
brightest social events of the season was the fete extended to Edward
A . htokea by his patents 16, the occasion being his twenty-fifth
birthday . Mr Stokes is a prominent amateur , and is wealthy.  Late -
D E Bandmann, opened here to-night ( 21 ) in The Duke's Motto to fair
business . The curtain was delayed until 8:45 by a very disagreeable
and unusual occurrence . Mr . Bandmann took exceptions to some action
of Ida Lewis, upon her entrance to the theatre , and an altercation
ensued , which ended in Mr. B.  dragging her , it is alleged , across
the stage to her dressing room. Miss Lewis left the theatre, refusing
to play. At 8:45 Manager Taylor succeeded in getting her to appear, on
his personal account, and the play went along agreeably . Miss Lewis
will leave the company tomorrow . Louise Beaudet was billed, but did
not appear. No explanation was given - We have received the following
telegram from Mr . Bandmann: Trenton . Feb . 22 . ”If anything about
a fracas has been sent you, don't publish until you hear from me . A
scandalous libel. D. E. BANDMANN . We give our correspondent's recital
because we cannot conceive that he has any motive in misrepresenting
the matter: and we shall give Mr . Bandmann's side of the story when
we receive it. (Editor)

Trenton - At Taylor s Opera-house , the Bandmann - Beaudet Co . closed
a fairly successful week Feb. 26. The absence of Miss Beaudet from the
cast Feb 21 was caused by a severe illness of that lady. She appeared
at each performance  thereafter, and sustained her roles in her usual
artistic manner. Ida Lewis left the company Feb 22, on account of her
difficulty with Mr . Bandmann the preceding night, and was married to
Francis M . Enos at the West-end Hotel on the same date . Mr . Enos
was also in Bandmann's support, and resigned his position while here.
The young couple had been engaged for several months , and the
difficulties encountered here by the bride prompted a speedy marriage.
They left town Feb 23 for New York, Manager Taylor presenting Miss
Lewis with a handsome testimonial previous to her departure . Mr.
Bandmann has added to his company Genivie Beaman of New York, and also
several gentlemen. The fracas Mr . B wired you as a "scandalous libel"
could not have been the affair I reported last week, for my
information came from reliable sources, and I can corroborate it by
the testimony of four disinterested eye-witnesses . A letter received
from Mr . Bandmann just as we are going to press ( he had addressed
the envelope to another paper , and his letter had consequently bean
at a loss for a resting-place , so to speak) denies that he more than
expostulated with the lady, who is the same whom . he rescued from
drowning months ago, and for whom he has a fatherly regard. With this
THE CLIPPER, having, given both sides, drops the matter. (Editor)

NY Dramatic Mir
March 5, 87
Trenton NJ Opera House (John Taylor, manager): The Bandmann - Beaudet
Co . opened the week to big business Feb 11 but owing to an
unfortunate affair, the bottom fell out.  Just previous to the
beginning of Monday evening's performance, Mr. Bandmann and his
leading lady, Ida Lewis, held a vigorous debate on stage, which ended
by Herr Bandmann picking the lady up bodily and carrying her to his
dressing room, where another exciting quarrel took place.  Miss Lewis
left the theatre and refused to come back.  After urgent requests from
the local manager she returned and opened the performance at a quarter
to nine.  The next day Miss Lewis married a member of the company.,
E.F. Enos, and the newly wedded pair were immediately discharged.

The Duke's Motto also known as The Duke's Daughter or The Hunchback of
Paris, a melodrama, written by John Brougham (1814-80), first produced
in London on January 10 1863.  Allardyce Nicholl, "Nineteenth Century
Drama 1850-1900" (New York, Columbia University Press, 1946). V, 280.

The Duke s Motto , a translation and adaptation by that clever
dramatist , John Brougham , from Paul Feval
The duke's motto, or, I am here! A play in a prologue and four acts
[in, Metamora & other plays by John Augustus Stone ;
The Duke's Motto; Or, I Am Here! A Play in a Prologue and Four Acts
Brougham, John. "The Duke's Motto; Or, I Am Here! A Play in a Prologue
and Four Acts." Metamora & Other Plays. Ed. Eugene R. Page. Princeton:
Princeton University Press, 1941.

 The duke's daughter, or, The hunchback of Paris a drama in three acts
... A drama, in three acts, and a prologue.by Brougham, John,
1810-1880
The Duke's daughter
Author / Creator	Brougham, John, 1810-1880.
Imprint	Cambridge : ProQuest Information and Learning, 2003.
Language	English
Other authors / contributors	Anicet-Bourgeois, M. (Auguste), 1806-1871. (orig.)
Féval, Paul, 1817-1887.
Format	E-Resource, Print, Book
URL for this record	http://pi.lib.uchicago.edu/1001/cat/bib/7462562

Brougham, John, 1810-1880.
The duke’s daughter, or, The hunchback of Paris : a drama, in three
acts, and a prologue / dramatized from M. Paul Feval’s Le petite
parisien by MM. Anicet Bourgoise and Feval as Le bossu ; adapted for
the English stage.
New York : Samuel French & Son, [ca. 1883]

Scranton , Pa ., Feb 28-March 5 .
Scranton PA - Feb 28 - March 5
At the Academy , D . E . Bandmann opened Feb . 28 in Othello at
popular prices ; March I , Romeo and Juliet ; 2 , matinee , Lady of
Lyons ; evening , Richard III . The advance sale Is large , Indicating
a good engagement .
"Played to good business"

March 21-26 week Bandmann at Opera House in Lockport NY

March 26, 1887 - JA and Frank Enos have left Bandmann and returned to
Mansfield Ohio.  "Expect to summer there" (NY Dramatic Mirror)

April 4, 1887 - leaves Frank Enos.  (from Divorce petition) - to
rejoin Bandmann?

Erie, PA - March 31 to Apr 2 at Park Opera House.
Bandmann - Beaudet Co. 30, 31, April 1 and 2, to only fair attendance
at cheap admission.

April 4-9  week Bandmann in Dayton Ohio

April 11-16 week in Milwaukee WIS at Palace Theatre
D . E . Bandmann opened for one week 11 , producing Richard III ,
Shylock , Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth.
D . E . Baudmann on 17 closed a week of varied business which, on the
whole, was successful.

Grand Rapids, Mich. April 18-23 at Redmond's Grand
April 18 week in St Louis, Missouri (not in St Louis)

April 25-27 Springfield Ill

April 28 - 30 Bloomington Ill  (End of season?   Nothing listed for
the next 8 weeks)

May 3 1887 - JA turns 18

May 12 1887 - Grand opera Hamilton - benefit for John Townsend

Birth of Son George Arthur Enos in Spring or summer?

(Unlikely there was ever a trip to Europe or if there was it was
likely to give birth - out of sight).

Oct 1887 in San Francisco at Baldwin Theatre with the Kate Forsyth
Stock co.   Her Atonement

Spring of 1887  (pregnancy?)
She left the Bandmann company at the end of her third season, perhaps
weary of the routine, perhaps recognizing that she had learned as much
as she could from that kind of haphazard schooling. Like many North
American artists, then and now, she had acquired from a very early age
a marked taste for European culture. To a degree she felt ill-at-ease
in being from a mere colonial culture such as Canada with its limited
sense of self-worth and artistic promise. At Bandmann's suggestion she
went to Leipzig where she studied the violin; eventually she gave it
up to study voice and theatre. Because details are scanty (she does
not mention this period in her memoirs), it is difficult to determine
what kind of training she received and what influence it may have had
on her career. We do know that she attended the theatre a great deal:
first in Germany (where she saw The Winter's Tale, for example, though
there is no evidence that she understood the language) and then in
London. There she much admired the quality of performance, and
possibly formed her resolve to join an English acting company of great
distinction.

On her return from Europe in Summer 1887.  now using name Julia Arthur.

 Joins Kate Fortune Co in San Francisco Oct 1887   Kate Forsyth

Oct 29 NY Clipper
The California Theatre will reopen Oct 31 under the management of Al.
Haynian and Lewis Morrison. The Initial performance , Her Atonement ,
will Introduce the new stock company which includes Kate Forsyth,
Florence Roberts , Roseabel Morrison, Jean Clara Walters , Julia
Arthur, Lewis Morrison, Thomas G. Patten, . H.E. Phillips , Edwln
Stevens , George Barnum, Leo Cooper , Albert Hosmer, James K , Fox and
H , C . Vernon

16 October 1887 SFran
The California Theatre will be reopened on the 31st instant under
Hayman & Morrison's management, with Anson Pond's " Her Atonement,"
which will be produced with entirely new scenery by John E. Wilkins,
and with a company including Misses Kate Forsythe, Robabel Morrison,
Florence Roberts, Jean Clara Walters and Julia Arthur, and Messrs.
Lewis Morrison, Thomas G. Patten, Leo Cooper, H. E. Phillips, Edwin
Stevens. George Itanium, Albert Ilosmer, James E. Fox. R. C. Vernon
and others, in all twenty-one acting people, besides a full military
band and a company of National Guard of California. " Her Atonement "
has been adapted from the French and the scene laid in New York. A
girl has been betrayed by a French roue, and when she kills her lover
suspicion falls not unoii her but upon a man who has had a quarrel
with the murdered libertine. Nothing can be established against him
and he is discharged, goes to the war and returns a hero. Evidence has
been accumulating against him, and he is arrested. His trial ends
disastrously ; he is about to be condemned when the murderess, urged
by her despair, admits her guilt in open court and saves an innocent
man. This is her atonement. The play is said to be exciting and to be
equipped with some startling situations. There is a Faust-like return
of the troops from the war, and a review of the passing regiment.

Late Fall 1889 - Late Spring 1890

Enos 	Mansfield Evening News 	15 April, 1890 	A petition for divorce
was filed today in common please court in which Melzar F. Enos is
plaintiff and Ida F. Lewis is defendant.  They were married at
Trenton, N.J., Feb. 27, 1887.  At that time they were both members of
the company supporting Daniel Bandmann, the eccentric German
tragedian.  Mrs. Enos, whose professional name is used in the
petition, deserted her husband April 4, 1887, but a little more than a
month after they were married, and she has since been absent.  The
separation was brought about through the influence of Bandmann and
Mrs. Enos' parents.  The only grounds on which divorce is asked is
willful absence for the past three years.
  	Worthington Enterprise 	19 June 1890	Melzar F. Enos vs. Ida
Lewis-Enos.  Divorce granted.

ENOS vs. ENOS

        Melzar F. Enos, the actor, has applied for a divorce from Ida
F. Enos, on account of wilful absence.  They were married at Trenton,
N.J. in 1887, while members of the Bandmann company.  [MANSfiELD
HERALD:  17 April 1890, Vol. 40, No. 22]

        M.F. Enos has been granted a divorce by Judge May.  [MANSfiELD
HERALD:  19 June 1890:  Vol. 40, No. 31]

1891
The next summer, Aug 1891, found her based in New York City, where she
readily accepted the leading part of Queen Fortunetta in The Black
Masque, an adaptation by Frederick Giles of Edgar Allan Poe's prose
tale The Masque of the Red Death. Rehearsals were haphazard and she
had to borrow money from family, friends, and creditors to help pay
for the costumes. The well-known actor E.J. Henley played the leading
male role, and also worked as the assistant stage manager. His
presence lent a certain degree of respectability to the venture and
was valuable in attracting the attention not only of the public but of
the press. When the production opened on 24 August 1891 at Union
Square Theatre, the play itself was roundly condemned, as were the
costumes, the settings, and many of the performances. But Julia Arthur
had, at long last, reached the moment she had been searching for ever
since her departure from Hamilton some six years before - she received
superb reviews. Typical is the one in the New York Dramatic Mirror (29
August):

Aug 24, 1891 in BLACK MASQUE  at Union Square Theatre NYC

Mon Sept 7/91 in BLACK MASQUE at Grand Opera House, Brooklyn. (handbill)

Some enthusiast wrote in Lew Rosen's paper of that time this couplet
about Julia Arthur:

"After long labor, sweet success endures;
You awoke last Tuesday and the town was yours."

Feb 28 to March 12/98 at Hooley's Theatre Chicago in Lady of Q
March 1 .  - The week opened well with the majority of the houses .
Tho weather was threatening but the people were not intimidated by it.
Julia Arthur had a fine house at Hooleys, where she appeared In A Lady
of Quality, her first performance in Chicago in a Stellar role . Miss
Arthur's work overshadowed all else in contributing to the success of
the performance.

There is a general shifting of attractions this week , and the
theatregoer has a wide variety from which to select . Julia Arthur
comes to Hooley's in A Lady of Quality . Julia Arthur arrives with
considerable eclat . In A Lady of Quality . She is supported by an
excellent company .

March 14/98 at Grand Opera House London ON in LADY OF QUALITY
Julia Arthur appears 14 , and has a large advance sale.

At the Grand Julia Arthur , In A Lady or Quality , appeared March 14 ,
to a packed house, at advanced prices . She received frequent recalls
, and her emotional acting won tremendous applause.

Grand Opera House, London, Ont., programme [microforme]
                    : season 1897-98, Monday night, March 14th, Mr. Arthur
                    Lewis presents Miss Julia Arthur in Francis Hodgson
                    Burnett and Stephen Townesend's play, A lady of
                    quality, supported by Mr. Edwin Arden .
                   Printed ephemera

March 15, 16 1898 at Grand Opera House Hamilton in LADY OF QUALITY

Hamilton . At the Grand Opera House the event of the season will be
the appearance of Julia Arthur , In A Lady of Quality , on March 15,
16. This city being the home of Miss Arthur partly accounted for the
rush in securing seats , which took place as soon as the sale was
opened, and in a short time every seat in the house was sold at
advanced prices for both performances.

Often, between engagements over the years, she would visit her
parents; on 15 March 1898 she was given a cordial reception by the
Women's Art Association;

Hamilton , Can , March 16 , Toronto 17-19, Brooklyn NY 21 - 26

March 17 - 19/98 at Grand Opera House Toronto in LADY OF Q
Julia Arthur , in A Lady of Quality , came to an advance sale of every
seat for the engagement .

St Joan premieres at Garrick Theater NYC on Dec. 28, 1923, with
Winifred Lenihan as Joan.   JA not in cast yet, but rest of company
the same.

Julia Arthur acted the play 302 times on tour.

Sept 11 24 in NY evening post
Sept 12, 24 - Announcement of JA casting in St Joan (Ny Sun)  Plans to
open in Boston

Saint Joan for the Theatre Guild's touring production of 1924-1925 and
1925-1926 taken to almost every city of note in both Canada and the
United States.

SPEC Oct 11, 1924
St Joan at Princess Theatre in Toronto  (Opening night was Oct 6, 1924
the it toured for two years)
"Play will be going to Boston and Philadelphia"

Oct 13 to 19, 1924 at His Majesty's Theatre in Mtl.

Oct 20, 1924 - Nov ?  (two week run)
At Garrick Theatre Philadelphia in ST JOAN  ad clipping

Opening Nov 3 1924 St Joan at Tremont (Variety source)

Monday Nov 24, 1924 at the Tremont Theatre Boston in ST JOAN
Saint Joan" with Julia Arthur original 8-page advertising brochure for
Tremont Theatre in Boston.

This is a rare program (playbill) from the National Tour engagement of
the GEORGE BERNARD SHAW classic "SAINT JOAN" at the Tremont Theatre in
Boston, Massachusetts. (The Original Broadway production opened
December 28th, 1923 at the Garrick Theatre in New York City and ran
for 195 performances before going on the road.) ..... The play starred
JULIA ARTHUR in the title role and featured ERSKINE SANFORD, GEORGE
KENDALL, JOHN FENN, GEORGE fiTZGERALD, EMIL HOCH, LOUIS CRUGER, HOUSE
BAKER JAMESON, HENRY MAJOR, PHILIP LEIGH, MARIE MARTIN, ALBERT
BARRETT, MASON PALMER, LYNN PRATT, HENRY TRAVERS, EDWIN MORDANT,
WALTER WINTER, LOWDEN ADAMS, MAURICE McRAE, JOHN McGOVERN, ADRIAN
SANFORD, DANIEL HOMES, STANLEY WOOD and ERNEST TANNIER ..... CREDITS:
Book by BERNARD SHAW; Sets designed by T. B. McDONALD; Costumes
designed by LEE SIMONSON; Directed by ROBERT LUCIUS COOK; Produced by
B. C. WHITNEY ..... DETAILS: The four page playbill measures 5 1/2" X
8 1/8" inches and includes full production credits, cast list and
synopsis of scenes, but no cast photos or bios. The back cover shows a
diagram of the emergency exit plans for the Tremont Theatre .....

Portrait as Joan in The Drama Magazine. Volume 15 (1924-1925)  pg 51

1924-early 1925
When she began playing the part she was fifty-five. 'I shall never
forget my surprise when she walked on the stage, an agile, vigorous
girl, apparently no more than twenty, handling Shaw's speeches with
humour, ease and impassioned beauty', commented an astonished and
pleased Hector Charlesworth. Rather than being exhausted by the
two-year North American tour, she was replenished by it, inspired to
present better and better performances. 'Julia Arthur seemed even more
satisfactory in the title role than on her first appearance here last
October', wrote Lawrence Mason in the Toronto Globe (31 March 1925)

Dec 1 - to Dec 26, 1924 in Chicago at Blackstone Theatre in St Joan

Jan 5 - 6 - 7, 1925  at English's Opera House Indianapolis Indiana in ST JOAN

January 10 - 17 1925 - at Grand Opera House - aka Grand Theatre - Cincinnati OH

Feb 18 - 25, 1925 at National Theatre in Washington DC in St Joan

Cast: 		Erskine Sandford, George Kendall, Julia Arthur,
                    John Fenn, George fitzgerald, Emil Hoch, Louis Cruger,
                    House Baker Jameson, Henry Major, John McGovern, Zita
                    Rieth, Albert Barrett, Walter Winter, Lynn Pratt, Henry
                    Travers, Edwin Mordant, W. Walter, Lowden Adams, Wm. J.
                    Maloney, Kendall George, Adrian Sanford, Danel Homes,
                    Stanley Wood, Joe Lee Jameson.

National Theatre, direction W.H. Rapley, business
                    management W.H. Fowler. B.C. Whitney offers
Bernard Shaw's latest and
                    greatest play "Saint Joan," with Julia Arthur, the
triumphant success
                    from season's run at the Garrick and Empire
Theatres, New York, now
                    playing at the New Theatre, London, under the
personal direction of
                    B.C. Whitney. Costumes of the court ladies
designed by Lee Simonson,
                    scenery constructed by T.B. McDonald, scenery
painted by Robert
                    Bergman, organ music by Louis Cruger.

National Theatre [Washington, D.C.], week beginning
                    Monday, February 16, 1925, matinees Wednesday and
                    Saturday.

    National Theatre, direction W.H. Rapley, business management W.H.
Fowler. B.C. Whitney offers Bernard Shaw's latest and greatest play
"Saint Joan," with Julia Arthur, the triumphant success from season's
run at the Garrick and Empire Theatres, New York, now playing at the
New Theatre, London, under the personal direction of B.C. Whitney.
Costumes of the court ladies designed by Lee Simonson, scenery
constructed by T.B. McDonald, scenery painted by Robert Bergman, organ
music by Louis Cruger.

    National Theatre [Washington, D.C.], week beginning Monday,
February 16, 1925, matinees Wednesday and Saturday.
    Title devised by Library staff.
    Cast: Erskine Sandford, George Kendall, Julia Arthur, John Fenn,
George fitzgerald, Emil Hoch, Louis Cruger, House Baker Jameson, Henry
Major, John McGovern, Zita Rieth, Albert Barrett, Walter Winter, Lynn
Pratt, Henry Travers, Edwin Mordant, W. Walter, Lowden Adams, Wm. J.
Maloney, Kendall George, Adrian Sanford, Danel Homes, Stanley Wood,
Joe Lee Jameson.
    In: American theater programs of the late 19th and 20th centuries
(Library of Congress).
    LC copy 1 accompanied by playbill advertisement for Ziegfeld
production of Leon Errol in "Louie the 14th," book and lyrics by
Arthur Wimperis, music by Sigmund Romberg. DLC
    LC copy 3 imperfect: [2] p. only of program. Accompanied by 2
newspaper clippings with reviews of "Saint Joan". DLC

Feb 28 to March 3, 25 Broad Street Newark in ST J (NY Times)
1925 - BROAD ST Theatre Newark
THEATRE PROGRAM Bernard Shaw's St Joan, starring Julia Arthur  More
likely Broad Street Philly
The week of March 2, 1925

Local advertising
SAINT JOAN
Bernard Shaw's Latest and Greatest Play

With Julia Arthur
Erskine Sanford, George Kendall, John Fenn, George fitzgerald,

SPEC - March 4, 1925 - Julia Arthur to play at Grand.  Will Appear
April 3 and 4 in ST JOAN presented by the Concert Club. Two days and 3
performances.

March 8 1925 at Broad street theatre 261 south broad  philadelphia
One week run

March 15 1925 - St Joan coming to Lyceum Theatre Rochester NY clipping
Run was March 20-21, 1925 in Rochester

Wed March 18 and Thurs. March 19, 1925 At Orpheum Theatre in
Harrisburg PA with ST JOAN

Late March 1925
Majestic Theatre - Buffalo NY in St Joan

SPEC - March 24, 1925 Shaw's JOAN finest prose of our time. Horace
James Bridges delivers lecture for Women's Canadian  club. Dates for
performances at Grand now April 17, 18, 19.

April 1, 1925 - return engagement at Princess Theatre Toronto.

SPEC - April 2, 1925 - Tremendous Interest in ST Joan
Company returned to Toronto Monday night.

HERALD - April 3, 1925  JA in ST JOAN - Played for 5 months since
premiere in Toronto last November.

SPEC - April 9, 1925 - St Joan
200 orders received in two days by mail creating a record. Friday
night for Rotary Club. Thursday night for IODE.   Friday afternoon
reception by Women's Canadian Council.   first stage appearance in
Hamilton in 28 years.

SPEC - April 11, 1925  SPIRITUAL INSIGHT CREDITED
(then Playing in Toronto).  Has lost 14 lbs while playing the role.

SPEC Apr 13/25 - Reception for JA to be held - Rose room of the arcade
Friday from 3:30 to 5pm

SPEC - Tuesday April 14, 1925  JA like modern young girl.
Interview from London ONT?   Playing Joan for 27 weeks and has lost 13
lbw while doing it.   Recent visit to White House to see President
Coolidge

HERALD - April 14, 1925 A Lady of Quality - brief bio sketch

SPEC - Thursday April 16, 1925 - JA arrives in Hamilton (Staying at
Royal Connaught Hotel)  Opening night at Grand.

SPEC - Friday April 17, 1925 - A tete-a-tete with JA by Jennie Wren
"I wish my mother was here to see this"  "Joan is a terror to play but
I love her"

SPEC - Friday April 17, 1925  "Glorious Reception"  review of play.
"I may make my residence in other cities, but down in my heart,
Canadians are my people and Hamilton my home…   Thank you for your
kind reception of us tonight - and I love you."

SPEC - Sat. April 18, 1925  JA guest of Canadian Club.
Reception in Rose Room of the Arcade
Receiving were Miss Gibson (President)  and Mrs CR McCulloch
J Arthur's speech quoted at length.

April 19 Peterbourgh

April 20 - 21 Belleville

Apr 23-25 Russell Theatre Ottawa in ST JOAN

Apr 27 to May 2, 1925 in ST J at His Majesty's Theatre Montreal in St Joan

May 1, 1925 in ST JOAN at His Majesty's Theatre Mtl.

Nov 1, 1925 reading PA orpheum theatre in St Joan

Nov 3-4, 1925 Wilmington Delaware Playhouse (aka du Pont theatre)  ,in
St Joan  (Playhouse Chester PA?)

Nov 30 to Dec 4 Grand Opera House (Grand Theatre)  Cincinnati Ohio in ST JOAN

Dec 7, 1925 at Schubert Theatre Kansas City

Dec 13 at Shubert Theatre playbill.

Dec?? 13 -18  Shubert Theatre St Paul Minnesota (before Winnipeg)

Mon Jan 4 to Sat Jan 9, 1926 at Walker Theatre Winnipeg in St Joan
Jan 6 reception for Canadian Women's Club (Clipping Winpg Tribune)

January 22, 23 at Majestic Theatre at 512 5 Avenue South in
Lethbridge. ALB in ST JOAN

Feb 24, 1926  in Seattle at Metropolitan Theatre

March 13 Santa Cruz CA in ST JOAN (or San Fran - two week run?)

March 17, 26 Columbia Theatre San Francisco in St Joan.

Monday March 22 - at St Jose College Theatre in ST JOAN

Apr 3 1926 - Oakland CA

April 7, 1926 at Philharmonic Auditorium Los Angeles - Matinee's only
due to no theatre being available   Two week run  "Audiences have been
small" Variety

Wed April 21, 1926 at Orpheum Theatre Ogden Utah in St Joan

April 22-25, 1926 in St Joan at Salt Lake City Theatre in S.L. Utah
3 night run

Friday May 7, 1926 in ST J at Albert Taylor Hall - Teacher's College
Theatre Emporia Kansas

May 19 1926   after run at New Detroit Theatre Michigan - Production
closes and sets go into storage (Variety)

The production was taken to Montreal, Kingston, Toronto, London and of
course to Hamilton where the demand for tickets was unparalleled.
There was also a long Western Canadian tour which took in Vancouver,
Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, Saskatoon, and Winnipeg. It would seem that
in this, her last major performance, she was inspired by the country
which she had first left some forty years before. 'As a Canadian, I
feel that I should give my audiences here of my best,' she proudly
explained to the Toronto Globe (4 April 1925)

1921
The Edmonton and Calgary newspapers gave the 1921 production
enthusiastic reviews, commenting on the realistic portrayal of the
North and the characters who lived there: "In Alberta we know the
characters Mack deals with, we have met them in the flesh, fraternized
with them and are familiar with their walk and talk" (CH 3 Jan 1921
4). The Edmonton Journal was equally enthusiastic about the
production, acknowledging that it was a new experience to hear the
name of Edmonton on the stage, and like The Calgary Herald, it
questioned why such a realistic play should be classified as a
melodrama since life in the North was represented as it actually is (a
man sitting next to the reviewer had said so!). However, the play was
sufficiently distanced from both Edmonton and Calgary that the local
attitudes towards the North most likely resulted from some of the same
sources which circulated about the NWMP and the menagerie of people
who supposedly lived in that part of the country. The urban Albertans
had come to believe the stereotype. It should be noted that the
touring production of Tiger Rose was superior to the usual fare which
made its way to Alberta at the time. The cast had been chosen by David
Belasco and the scenery and machinery from the New York production
were used along with a crew of thirty stage hands to manage the
technical side of the show. Much was made of the actress, Helen Lewis,
who played Rose and of the fact that she was from Ontario and was a
relative of Julia Arthur.

1926

April 5 to 17, 1926 At Philharmonic Auditorium Los Angeles in ST JOAN
Philharmonic Auditorium
Los Angeles, California,
April 5 to April 17, 1926

Saint Joan was Julia Arthur's swansong. After the extraordinarily
gruelling two-year tour, completed at the age of fifty-seven, she
retired for the second and last time to her home in Boston.

Apr 28, 1926
Title 	Julia Arthur and Company in Saint Joan Broadway Theatre, Denver, Colorado
Creator(s) 	Rocky Mountain Photo Company.
Summary 	Members of the cast of "Saint Joan" pose in front of the
Broadway Theater at 1756 Broadway in Denver, Colorado. Photographs
from the production hang from a stand behind the actors. A playbill on
the pillar at the front entrance reads: "E. C. Whitney Presents Julia
Arthur America's Favorite in Saint Joan."

ST JOAN Tour ends in Detroit in Late may 1926

Son
His brother George Enos (ten years Busby's senior) graduated from
Culver Military Academy where he was an accomplished athlete and
captain of the Culver Black Horse Troop. Years later, as a result of
drug abuse, George was found dead on a park bench in Plattsburgh, New
York, U.S.A.

JA's first husband was the actor  Enos Wilson Died at age 42 on
Tuesday, March 22, 1904 in Muskoka, Ontario.  Born 1862?
Mr. Enos was born near Perrysville Ohio the son of Wilson and
Elizabeth Enos, pioneer residents,

Birth name was Melzar Franklin Enos. Born about 1864 he was the son of
Wilson Enos and Elizabeth Tannehill Enos. He was an actor and used the
stage name Wilson Enos. His first wife the actress Ida Lewis, known as
Julia Arthur. They had a son, George Arthur Enos. They divorced 1n
1890. His second wife, Gertrude Berkeley, was a well known actress of
the time. She is buried next to him. Their son was William Berkeley
Enos who was best known as Busby Berkeley the famous director.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=127739258

His name was Melzar Frances Enos, but everybody around here,
unsurprisingly, called him Frank.

He was named after his maternal grandfather, Melzar Tannehill Jr., who
was named after his father, one of the first three Richland County
commissioners elected in 1813.

The Tannehills were a pioneer family of Green Township, now Ashland
County, where Frank was born in 1864. But he left there and chose a
completely different career than his ancestors - as a stage actor,
director and company manager. He took his show business name from his
father - Wilson Enos.

Frank had two sons, one from each of his marriages to actresses Julia
Arthur and Gertrude Berkeley. The youngest, born in 1895, became a
Hollywood legend - his birth name was William Berkeley Enos, but his
film name was Busby Berkeley.

Frank had moved with his mother and younger brothers, Walter and
Oliver, to Mansfield by 1880, after the death of his father in 1876.
The boys had to work to support the family. In the 1881-82 city
directory, Frank was listed as a clerk at Jenner & Co., a dry-goods
store. He was remembered as running a cigar and ticket brokerage at
the old Wiler House hotel. By that time, he no doubt was enamored of
the many theaters in town.

His full-time career on stage began with the Daniel Bandmann company,
where he met and married his first wife in February 1887. They had a
son, George, and life on the road must not have been easy for the
couple since Frank sued her for divorce in 1890, claiming desertion
since April 1887.

She went on to have great success and eventually married a "Boston millionaire."

The house at 312 Bay South was the residence of Julia Arthur's parents
and siblings.  Based upon my research the Lewis family lived in the
house from 1904 (first entry in the Blue Book Society book) to 1915
(which was the year of the death of Hannah "Anna" Arthur Lewis - her
mother).   Her father Thomas J Lewis died in the house at the age of
82, on 27th January 1914, Informant: Anna Arthur Lewis of 312 Bay St N
Hamilton, died of arteriosclerosis, chronic Bright's disease, uraemia,
Hamilton Wentworth Registration # 033846.   The Lewis family also
lived at 154 James Street South (1894-1904), 27 Spring Street (now 41
Spring Street from 1884-1893), a large house at 31 Maria Street
(renamed Forest Ave 1871-1884), and an apartment above Thomas Lewis'
tobacco shop at 80 King Street East 1865-1870.   Julia Arthur (taken
from her mother's maiden name) was her stage name - Ida Lewis was her
real name.  She performed as Ida Lewis with the Bandmann Company from
March 1885 to Feb 1887.  She changed her stage name in the fall of
1887 while performing at the Baldwin theatre in San Francisco after a
brief marriage at age 17.  On Feb 22, 1887 she was married  to Frank
Enos - that she never publicly acknowledged - that produced a child
George Enos (the half brother of the noted film director Busby
Berkley) that remained in the custody of its father.

New York  Dramatic Mirror of  March 5, 1887
Trenton NJ Opera House (John Taylor, manager): The Bandmann - Beaudet
Co . opened the week to big business Feb 11 but owing to an
unfortunate affair, the bottom fell out.  Just previous to the
beginning of Monday evening's performance, Mr. Bandmann and his
leading lady, Ida Lewis, held a vigorous debate on stage, which ended
by Herr Bandmann picking the lady up bodily and carrying her to his
dressing room, where another exciting quarrel took place.  Miss Lewis
left the theatre and refused to come back.  After urgent requests from
the local manager she returned and opened the performance at a quarter
to nine.  The next day Miss Lewis married a member of the company.,
E.F. Enos, and the newly wedded pair were immediately discharged.

There also are family rumours that Shelley Lewis born in 1889 (and was
perhaps raised as her sister by her parents) was in fact her daughter
- can't prove that though yet.    She married Boston Millionaire
Benjamin P. Cheney Jnr. on 23 February 1898, they slipped away from
public view for a quiet marriage in Covington, Kentucky.   The
marriage, which produced no children,  was kept secret until April 11,
1898 due presumably to objections from Cheney's mother.   The couple
built a large house on Calf Island in Boston Harbour and lived in it 7
months of the year (the rest of the year in apartments at a large
Boston Hotel Parker House).  The Cheney's lost the house when the
island was taken over by the US government for defense purposes.
Recent research confirms that was Cheney's money that bought the house
the Lewis family lived in.   Her older sister Caroline also married
well - her husband was Charles E. Kohl. Charles E. Kohl, of Chicago,
one of the leading figures in the vaudeville world, president of the
Kohl & Castle Amusement Co., and chairman of the executive committee
of the United Booking Agency. Mr. Kohl was one of the most conspicuous
figures in American vaudeville management. The Kohl & Castle Co., of
which he was the president, was the Eastern representative of the
Orpheum circuit, and the Western representative of the United Booking
Offices.
       Mr. Kohl was one of the largest owners of theatrical real
estate in Chicago, and owned and controlled the Majestic, the Chicago
Opera House, the Olympic, the Haymarket, the Criterion, the Star and
Garter, the Academy and the Bijou. He was the director of the Western
Vaudeville Managers' Association.

http://historicalhamilton.com/durand/312-bay-street-south/

Yes Indeed. I have been working on a play about Julia Arthur for the
past 2 1/2 years. A fascinating woman. She got her start at age 15 in
March 1885 when she auditioned for Daniel Bandmann a noted
Shakespearean actor. In 1894 she went to the UK and spent two years
with Sir Henry Irving at the Lyceum Theatre in London. By the fall of
1897 she was starring on Broadway and running her own company. She
married a Boston millionaire Ben. P Cheney (yes the former VP's Grand
Uncle) in April 1898. She took a temporary halt to her acting in the
spring of 1900 after some health issues and was off the stage until
1915! She and her husband lived most of the year on an island in
Boston Harbour called Calf Island. She did a number of silent films -
most notably the first bio-pic of Nurse Edith Cavell in 1918. Her last
great role was as Joan in the North American premiere production of
Bernard Shaw's ST JOAN. At the age of 54 she played the 17 year old
leading character to rave reviews on tour right across the US and
Canada. . In April 1925 the production played the Grand Opera House on
James Street North in Hamilton - the same theatre she had made her
professional debut at 40 years before. I have a gallery of images of
her on my facebook page. Her life is a bit of an obsession.
https://www.facebook.com/brian.morton.7982/media_set...

Julia's real name was Ida Lewis. Her parents were Thomas J Lewis, a
tobacco manufacturer and Hannah "Anna" Arthur Lewis, and she was one
of 16 children (although two of the kids died in Childhood). She grew
up in a large house at 31 Maria Street (which is now Forest Ave.) -
due to business reversals the family moved into a much smaller house
at 27 Spring Street (41 Spring street today) around the time of her
stage debut in 1884 - this house has survived. Several of her siblings
followed her into careers in the arts as musicians and vaudeville
performers. One sister was a major player in UK's film industry.

41 Spring Street was the Lewis Family home from 1884 to about 1893
when the family moved to 154 James South. In 1904 they moved to 312
Bay South. Upon the mother's death around 1916 the Lewis family was no
longer in Hamilton, with the children living in Boston, New York,
Toronto, Montreal, St Louis Chicago and Los Angeles.