Roadhouse Theatres in Canadian Universities

Claire Carolan clairecarolanmackisoc at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 17 10:30:56 EDT 2016

Hi Jamie

I can answer a couple of those for you. The University of Calgary has three main theatres that are part of the performing arts department. Two operate as roadhouses (The University Theatre and the Rosza Centre) and one is a dedicated department space (The Reeve Theatre) The department’s season rotates between the UT and the Reeve Theatre and they also operate as classrooms (The UT less often though)

At Simon Fraser University The Milton Wong Theatre is the main performance space for the School for Contemporary Arts, it was built to bring the performing arts off of Burnaby Mountain and into downtown Vancouver to make them more visible. However, what they built was a super desirable rental space/roadhouse so it is quite complicated to book department shows and/or class time into the space. The original theatre on the mountain (which was quite lovely, full flies etc) was retro fitted to be a lecture hall although performance space is at a premium for teaching and performing in.

I know less about UBC but their main performance space the Frederick Wood Theatre is available for rental and they also do department shows in the Chan Centre, which is a very busy road house.

The Capilano University Theatre which supports the Bachelor of Performing Arts Program is also a rental/road house.

Douglas College is also a very busy road house that is the main performing and teaching space for the Theatre and Stagecraft and Event Technology Programs.

At the University of Victoria, the Theatres at the Phoenix complex are dedicated teaching and performing spaces for the theatre department but there is a busy road house, The Farquhar Auditorium on campus.

Hope this is helpful!

Claire Carolan

Claire Carolan BFA, MA
Interdisciplinary Doctoral Student, Theatre & Education
University of Victoria

Founder - Tri-University Colloquium for Theatre, Film and Performance Research
UVic 2015, UBC 2016, SFU 2017