[Candrama] Research Consultations and Fellowships at Harry Ransom Center

Colleary, Eric J eric.colleary at austin.utexas.edu
Mon Aug 28 14:59:27 EDT 2017

Dear colleagues,

The Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas at Austin is accepting applications for short and long-term research fellowships that will make use of our extensive archival collections in the 2018-2019 academic year. Fellowships range from one to three months with monthly stipends of $3,500 (domestic) or $4,000 (international). Also available are travel stipends and dissertation fellowships with stipends of $2,000 (domestic) or $2,500 (international). The stipends are generously funded by individual donors and organizations, including the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the Dorot Foundation, the Carl H. Pforzheimer Endowment, and the Marlene Nathan Meyerson Photography Fellowship Endowment.

Additional details about fellowships including recent recipients and application instructions can be found on our website: http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/research/fellowships/

Fellowships are not required to access the collections.

Research Consultations via Skype
Applying for research fellowships can be difficult if you have not visited the specific institution before to see what they have. Also, if your research has not yet depended extensively on archival research or you are a graduate student just starting out, you may find “digging-in” to be a daunting prospect. To that end, I am offering informal Skype chats where we can discuss your research. I can try to highlight specific collections that might support your work, offer search strategies specific to the Ransom Center’s holdings, and provide advice on what other research centers and archives might be worth investigating given your specific topic. These consultations are free and available to anyone researching performance and performance history.

Appointments can be scheduled through Google Calendar (https://calendar.google.com/calendar/selfsched?sstoken=UUZBZGtXYzNrbFdRfGRlZmF1bHR8YWIzMGZjMzY4OWZjNmVjNGM5YjQyNGFjODVkZDUwNzY) or by email at eric.colleary at austin.utexas.edu<mailto:eric.colleary at austin.utexas.edu>.

Collection Highlights in Performing Arts

Theater Biography Collection
The massive Theater Biography Collection (over 500 linear feet) is a growing collection that documents the careers of British and American performing arts figures. A searchable database includes over 11,000 entries for the Biography Collection and over 5,500 entries for the Performing Arts Card Photograph Collection. http://norman.hrc.utexas.edu/BioFile/

Dance
Ballet Russes Costumes, Richard Buckle, Mary McLarry Bywaters, James Clouser, Marquis George de Cuevas, Dance Costume Collection, Fred Fehl Dance Photographs, Joffrey Ballet Collection, Lincoln Kierstein Scrapbooks, May O’Donnell Collection, Giovanni Vittorio Rosi, Rhonda Winter Russell, Ruth St. Denis’ Radha, Ted Shawn Collections

Playwrights and Composers
Maxwell Anderson, Sebastian Barry, Samuel Beckett, Edward Chodorov, T.S. Eliot, David Hare, Lillian Hellman, Alfred Jarry, Adrienne Kennedy, David Mamet, Terrence McNally, Arthur Miller, John Osborne, J. B. Priestley, George Bernard Shaw, Sam Shepard, Tom Stoppard, Arnold Wesker, Oscar Wilde, Tennessee Williams, Sandy Wilson

Directors
Frith Banbury, John Russell Brown, Harold Clurman, Augustin Daly, Harley Granville-Barker, Joan Littlewood, Edward Mangum, B. Iden Payne, James Roose-Evans Konstantin Stanislavsky

Performers
Stella Adler, Wilson Barrett, Sarah Bernhardt, Edwin Booth, Chris Castor, Charles Dibdin Family, Robert Downing, Edith Evans, Spalding Gray, Burl Ives, Anne Jackson, Peter O’Toole, Ada Rehan, J. Scott Smart, Laurette Taylor, Eli Wallach, Virginia Vernon, Roland Young

Design
Boris Aronson, B.J. Simmons Costume Co., Norman Bel Geddes, Edith Lutyens Bel Geddes, Gordon Conway, Edward Gordon Craig, Eldon Elder, L. & H. Nathan Costume Designs, James Newton

Music, Musical Theater, and Opera
Merle Armitage Scrapbooks, The Black Crook Collection, Paul Bowles, Concert Programs Collection, Harry H. Frazee, Patrice Munsel, Musicians Collection, Opera Collection, Irra Petina, Sheet Music Collection, John Philip Sousa, Jule Styne, Arnold Sundgaard, Fred Waring, Jerome Weidman

Blackface Minstrelsy
Al Emmett Fostell Papers, George C. Howard and Family Collection, Minstrel Show Collection, Uncle Tom’s Cabin Collection

Vaudeville, Magic, and Circus
Barnum & Bailey Collection, Chautauqua Collection, Chauve-Souris Collection, Circus Collection, Circus Costume Collection, Harry Houdini, Magicians Collection, Music Hall Collection, Tony Pastor, Popular Entertainments Collection, Joe E. Ward Circus Collection, “Sliding” Billy Watson

Photographers and Artists
Joseph Abeles, Fred Fehl, Bob Golby, Al Hirschfeld, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Prints Collection, Poster Collection, Production Photo Collection

Critics, Managers, Companies, Misc.
Donald Albery, Max Beerbohm, Donald Wolfit Shakespeare Co., Audrey Wood, Florenz Ziegfeld, Opera Collection, Pantomime Collection, Playbills & Programs Collection, Puppetry Collection

Finding aids for many of these collections can be found online: http://norman.hrc.utexas.edu/fasearch/alphabet.cfm

The Harry Ransom Center also holds a large collection of early and rare books, which can be searched through the library’s catalogue by limiting the Location Search to the Harry Ransom Center: http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/collections/performingarts/holdings/topics/books/

The opportunity to research across historical, literary, artistic, and scientific collections can be an asset to anyone’s project. For a broad topical overview of the Ransom Center’s holdings, please see our Guide to the Collections: http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/collections/guide/

Digital Collections

The Harry Ransom has digitized several of its collections in the performing arts, and more are added regularly. Current collections include our papers of Oscar Wilde, selections from the Fred Fehl Dance Photography collection, ten scrapbooks from the Harry Houdini Collection, selections of posters and playbills from our Magic and Circus collections, and some of the glass plate negatives in our performing arts collection. Recently posted collections include our materials relating to The Black Crook, one of our three Shakespeare first folios, and John Wilkes Booth's promptbook for Richard III. The Digital Collections Portal can be accessed at:  http://hrc.contentdm.oclc.org/

Please do not hesitate to reach out directly with questions. I look forward to hopefully welcoming you to the Ransom Center in the near future.

All very best,

Eric Colleary

Eric Colleary, PhD
Cline Curator of Theatre and Performing Arts
Harry Ransom Center | The University of Texas at Austin
P.O. Box 7219 | Austin, TX 78713-7219
                Faculty, Performance as Public Practice Program, University of Texas Department of Theatre and Dance
                Co-Chair, American Theatre Archive Project (ATAP)
                Website Manager, Theatre Library Association (TLA)
Web: http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/collections/performingarts<http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/collections/performingarts/>
Email: eric.colleary at austin.utexas.edu<mailto:eric.colleary at austin.utexas.edu>
Phone: 512.475.6502
Twitter: @ecolleary<https://twitter.com/ecolleary>