[Candrama] CFP: Life after Theatre Studies CATR 2017

Glen Nichols gnichols at mta.ca
Fri Feb 3 07:19:07 EST 2017

Call for participants:
Round-table entitled: Life after Theatre Studies: Learning for the 21st Century
As a follow-up to last year's very successful round-table on Liberal Education and Theatre Studies, I invite participants for a more focused session that addresses the question, "How are our theatre, drama, and performance undergraduate programs preparing students for life in the 21st century?"
With more than 2000 students graduating every year from theatre, drama, and performance programs in Canada, it seems reasonable to consider that a large number of those are not being employed in the theatre industry. They are putting their education to work in more complex ways, benefitting from the fundamental liberal education that theatre, drama, and performance studies can stimulate. To date there has been little scholarly attention paid to those elements of our curricula, attention being more usually placed on ambitions to professional or pre-professional training. With pressure on arts programs to more clearly define themselves, with the needs of our students to make their lives in a world of change and uncertainty, it seems very timely for us to have serious discussions around the role of theatre education in the broader preparation of our students.
To that end I invite 250-word proposals that address the round-table question (due by Feb 17, 2017). Round-table participants will then circulate brief (1500-word) position statements by May 1, 2017. At the conference round-table session, each participant will present the ideas of another paper as a kind of introduction/response. These will take the form of 3-minute "mini-theses." Once everyone's position has been introduced the round-table will spend most of its 90-minute length in general discussion among participants and auditors.

Please sent proposals (250 words) by February 17, 2017 to gnichols at mta.ca
Dr Glen Nichols
Director of Drama
Mount Allison University