[Candrama] looking for Thomas hill's "The Provincial Association"

Robin Whittaker rwhit at stu.ca
Fri Nov 24 15:55:15 EST 2017

Ed,

This was, at once, thrilling and disheartening!

Robin.

--
Dr. Robin C. Whittaker
Associate Professor & Drama Advisor

On Nov 24, 2017, at 4:43 PM, Ed Mullaly <emullaly at nbnet.nb.ca<mailto:emullaly at nbnet.nb.ca>> wrote:

Well,

This is the play I wrote about in my book Desperate Stages. Unfortunately I could only pick up bits and pieces about what it was about, from the papers, as I couldn’t locate a copy.

In 1984 (the same time I was looking for a copy) I had a most enjoyable sabbatical in Oakville. On returning to Fredericton afterwards, I asked my ‘old books’ guy if he had managed to find a copy for me. His mouth dropped. “Didn’t you get my email?” he asked. “What email” said I. He then explained that he had indeed found a copy of the pamphlet/brochure (whatever) and had emailed me, asking if I wanted it. His email went astray. When he didn’t hear from me he sold it to a “dentist in Ottawa who collected old pamphlets”.  My antiquarian bookseller then contacted the retired dentist in Ottawa to see if he’d allow a Xerox of the script for academic research. The guy said “NO!”  I thought that was rather unreasonable, and got my guy to contact him again. This time the dentist upper the stakes by threatening “I’ve already said NO, I’ve purchased it, it is mine, and if you ask me again I’ll stop purchasing books from you!” At that point, my guy bowed out of the whole issue. Thus proceeds research into Canadian theatre history!

So, in answer to your question, ‘Yes’ there is at least one copy of the script. Probably in Ottawa. Check out retired dentists. Or dentists not only retired but now pining for the fiords.

Good luck. And if you come up with a copy (I think it was printed on newsprint, Thomas Hill being an editor here in Fredericton) how about sending me a Xerox……

I'm really sorry for you all.
But it's an unjust world,
And virtue is triumphant
Only in theatrical performances