[Candrama] Tenure-track Aborginal Scholar positions - U of Saskatchewan

Day, Moira moira.day at usask.ca
Tue Oct 10 10:30:03 EDT 2017

The Department of Drama at the University of Saskatchewan wishes to draw your attention to the following advertisement and to our strong desire to recruit Aboriginal candidates with an interest in Theatre, Performance and Drama. We encourage eligible candidates with interests in this area to contact the Department Head, moira.day at usask.ca<mailto:moira.day at usask.ca> ,to discuss submitting an application.

The College of Arts and Science invites applications from outstanding emerging or established Aboriginal scholars for fulltime, tenure-track positions at any rank in any scholarly discipline represented in the College of Arts and Science (http://artsandscience.usask.ca/).
Located on the banks of the kisiskāciwani-sīpiy (also known as the South Saskatchewan River), the University of Saskatchewan is part of a millennia-long tradition of people gathering on these banks to teach, to learn, and to build community. The College of Arts and Science has committed to increase the proportion of Aboriginal faculty members to at least 15% over the next 10 years, thus reflecting the current demographics of Saskatchewan. We also commit to supporting these Aboriginal scholars in building community, collaboration, and career success within our College. This is part of our College’s transformative journey of Indigenization and reconciliation. We invite interested Aboriginal scholars to be part of that journey. This year, we will fill at least two positions with Aboriginal scholars.
Interviews of qualified candidates and recommendations for appointment will be the responsibility of individual departments within the College. Applicants, therefore, should indicate the department in which they seek appointment. Hiring decisions will be based on the applicants’ academic qualifications, record and strengths, along with their potential and willingness to support the strategic priorities of the relevant department and the department’s ability to support the candidate.
The University of Saskatchewan, situated in Treaty 6 territory and the Métis homeland, has committed to becoming an “outstanding institution of research, learning, knowledge-keeping, reconciliation, and inclusion with and by Indigenous peoples and communities.” It is located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, a city with a diverse and thriving economic base, a vibrant arts community and a full range of leisure opportunities. The University has a reputation for excellence in teaching, research, scholarly and artistic work, and offers a full range of undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs to a student population of over 23,000. With over 25,000 Aboriginal residents, the city is also a centre of Aboriginal cultural, social, artistic, and intellectual activity. Saskatchewan is the province with second-highest proportion of Aboriginal people in Canada and offers many opportunities for scholars to engage with a diversity of Aboriginal communities.
The College of Arts and Science is the University’s largest college and home to more than 60 academic programs. We have had a department of Indigenous Studies since 1982 and have strong Aboriginal programs and high-achieving Aboriginal scholars in many of our departments. We are also home to more than 9,000 students, with over 1000 Aboriginal students.Qualifications
Applications will be accepted from those who self-identify as Aboriginal (First Nations, Metis, or Inuit) and have a terminal degree in their discipline (or are in the last year of a program leading to such a degree). We are seeking Aboriginal candidates who have demonstrated an ability or potential to engage in research, scholarly or artistic work; to be effective classroom teachers and graduate student mentors; and can contribute to our mission of Indigenization and reconciliation directly through those activities or through role modeling, community engagement, and leadership.
Salary and Benefits
Salary bands for this position are as follows:
. This position includes a comprehensive benefits package which includes a dental, health and extended vision care plan;
pension plan, life insurance (compulsory and voluntary), academic long term disability, sick leave, travel insurance, death benefits, an employee assistance program, a professional expense allowance, and a flexible health and wellness spending program.
Application
Applications must include:
• a cover letter indicating the preferred department of appointment and summarizing the salient aspects of the application (including why the applicant is well-qualified and highly motivated to support the goals and objectives stated in this call for applications);
• a detailed curriculum vitae; • a statement outlining a proposed program of research, scholarly and/or artistic work; • a statement of teaching interests and philosophy; • evaluations of courses taught and observations regarding those evaluations; • contact information for three referees.
Applications should be submitted in digital form via email to:
Dr. Lawrence W. Martz, Vice-Dean Faculty Relations, College of Arts & Science, University of Saskatchewan, 9 Campus Drive, Saskatoon, Canada S7N 5A5 Email: Faculty.Relations.CAS at usask.ca<mailto:Faculty.Relations.CAS at usask.ca> Tel: +1 (306) 966-4275
Review of applications will begin 27 Nov 2017; however, applications will be accepted and evaluated until the position is filled. The anticipated start date is July 1, 2018.
Assistant Professor: $93,293 to $112,109; Associate
Professor: $112,109 to $130,925; and Professor $130,925 to $152,877
The University of Saskatchewan is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all
employees to reach their full potential. All members of the university community share a responsibility for developing
and maintaining an environment in which differences are valued and inclusiveness is practiced. The university
welcomes applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of our community. All qualified candidates are