[Candrama] Intermedial Narrative & Performance Symposium

Laura Levin levin at yorku.ca
Tue Nov 6 12:25:30 EST 2018

November 6, 2018

SYMPOSIUM

Intermedial Narrative & Performance: New Approaches

Friday, November 9, 2018
9:30 AM – 5:00 PM
207 Accolade East, York University

Elements of Oz <http://www.thebuildersassociation.org/prod_oz.html?mc_cid=457f659e55&mc_eid=[UNIQID]> by The Builders Association. Photo by Gennadi Novash, courtesy of Peak Performances at Montclair State University.
Join us for our upcoming symposium on Intermedial Narrative & Performance: New Approaches. This one-day symposium will explore new forms of storytelling at the intersection of performance, film, mixed media, and installation. Bridging diverse approaches to media arts, we will ask: how do artists and collectives working across disciplines engage with technologies—“new" and “old"—to experiment with alternative ways of staging self, community, and cultural memory? How do intermedial artworks—in challenging the methods and expectations proper to discrete art forms—provide a testing ground for unique, and often politically challenging, narrative structures? In what ways do these mediatized explorations of the spaces in between the arts, and in between art and technology, create engaging and at times disorienting audience experiences?

To grapple with these questions, we have invited a group of interdisciplinary makers and scholars from across Canada and the United States to discuss their intermedial creation work in and outside the “black box.” Through their use of a variety of intermedial methods—virtual, augmented, and mixed reality, live projection, interactive and immersive environments, mobile and geolocation technologies, and more—these artists trouble conventional perceptions of space, time, and boundary. In doing so, their practice-based artistic inquiries offer vibrant and urgent forms of social critique.

Keynote Presentations:

The Builders Association <http://www.thebuildersassociation.org/?mc_cid=457f659e55&mc_eid=[UNIQID]> (New York City)
Artistic Director Marianne Weems
Writer and Performer Moe Angelos
Video & Interactive Media Designer Larry Shea

IRL Labs <https://irl.studio/?mc_cid=457f659e55&mc_eid=[UNIQID]> (Pittsburgh)
CEO - Design & Pedagogy Ali Momeni
COO - Operations & Development Aparna Wilder

Panel 1: Immersive Social Spaces:
Nyla Innuksuk <https://www.nylainnuksuk.com/?mc_cid=457f659e55&mc_eid=[UNIQID]> (Mixtape VR), Tim Carlson <https://conspiracy.ca/?mc_cid=457f659e55&mc_eid=[UNIQID]> (Theatre Conspiracy) & David Mesiha <http://davidmesiha.com/?mc_cid=457f659e55&mc_eid=[UNIQID]> (Sound Designer), Michael Wheeler <https://spiderwebshow.ca/?mc_cid=457f659e55&mc_eid=[UNIQID]> (SpiderWebShow), Lisa Jackson <http://lisajackson.ca/?mc_cid=457f659e55&mc_eid=[UNIQID]>(Filmmaker)

Panel 2: Intermedial Narratives:
M. E. Luka <http://moreartculturemediaplease.com/?mc_cid=457f659e55&mc_eid=[UNIQID]> (Narratives in Space+Time Society, University of Toronto), Alison S. M. Kobayashi <http://www.asmk.ca/HOME/?mc_cid=457f659e55&mc_eid=[UNIQID]> (Say Something Bunny, UnionDocs), Liz Miller <http://storytelling.concordia.ca/content/miller-liz-core-member-communication-studies?mc_cid=457f659e55&mc_eid=[UNIQID]> (Concordia University)

Workshops:
Following the symposium, our keynote speakers will be leading weekend workshops for York University students.

Read more about the symposium, presenters, the schedule, and weekend workshops on our website.

SYMPOSIUM WEBSITE
 <https://sensorium.ampd.yorku.ca/intermedial-symposium/?mc_cid=457f659e55&mc_eid=[UNIQID]>
REGISTER WITH EVENTBRITE
The Symposium is free and open to everyone, but let us know you’re coming and secure your seat.

REGISTER
 <http://intermedial.eventbrite.ca/?mc_cid=457f659e55&mc_eid=[UNIQID]>
Free registration includes access to the full-day symposium and closing reception. Lunch and refreshments will be provided.
ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
This symposium is sponsored by Canada 150 @ York University.

We also want to acknowledge the support from Sensorium: Centre for Digital Arts and Technology, the Graduate Programs in Cinema & Media Arts, Digital Media, and Theatre & Performance Studies, and the Performance Studies (Canada) Speaker Series.
 <https://sensorium.ampd.yorku.ca/intermedial-symposium/?mc_cid=457f659e55&mc_eid=[UNIQID]>
 <mailto:sensinfo at yorku.ca>