[Candrama] Apply to MA/PhD in Theatre & Performance Studies at York University

Magdalena Kazubowski-Houston mkazubow at yorku.ca
Thu Nov 15 00:55:57 EST 2018

Hi all - Please forward to any prospective students who might be interested. Thanks!
> The Graduate Program in Theatre & Performance Studies at York University (Toronto, Canada) is now accepting applications for Fall 2019. We offer two degrees, an MA <http://theatre-studies.gradstudies.yorku.ca/ma-in-theatre-studies/> and PhD <http://theatre-studies.gradstudies.yorku.ca/phd/>, both of which emphasize our collective interest in theatre, performance, cultural politics <http://theatre-studies.gradstudies.yorku.ca/program-specializations/>, and practice-based research <http://theatre-studies.gradstudies.yorku.ca/practice-based-research/>.
>
> For us, this means teaching classes that explore performance both onstage and in everyday life in order to highlight the cultural, political, material, and ideological dimensions of performance practices, both past and present. Studying performances across a broad range of cultural contexts--in theatres, galleries, rituals, the media, the streets, the political arena, mass spectacles, interpersonal interactions, etc.--helps to capture performance's potential to frame critically nuanced responses to public events, and thus to model politically and ethically engaged forms of public life. We invite prospective applicants to learn more about our program's vision <http://theatre-studies.gradstudies.yorku.ca/why-tps/>, internationally renowned faculty research <http://theatre-studies.gradstudies.yorku.ca/faculty/>, and our trailblazing students <http://theatre-studies.gradstudies.yorku.ca/students/> on our website.
>
> The deadline to apply for the MA and PhD programs is January 20, 2019.
>
> Other central features of our program include:
>
> Critical Interdisciplinarity — We encourage our students to develop a rigorous interdisciplinary understanding of theatre and performance by taking courses with faculty who come from a range of disciplines throughout the university. Our location within the School of the Arts, Media, Performance, and Design <http://ampd.yorku.ca/> is essential to facilitating this approach, as the School’s curriculum is planned collaboratively each year to facilitate fluid movement among the programs, joint summer institutes and speaker series, and high-level interdisciplinary conversations across the arts. Students in our program also take advantage of interdisciplinary diploma programs that can be pursued in conjunction with our degrees (in Latin American and Caribbean Studies, Asian Studies, Refugee and Migration Studies, among other areas) and through a combined MA/MBA in Arts and Media Administration offered with the Schulich School of Business.

> [...]

Magdalena Kazubowski-Houston, PhD
Associate Professor | Department of Theatre
Graduate Program Director | MA/PhD Program in Theatre & Performance Studies
312 Centre for Film and Theatre (CFT) | 4700 Keele Street
Toronto, Ontario  M3J 1P3 Canada
Tel. (416) 736-2100 x 22257 |E: mkazubow at yorku.ca
http://theatre-studies.gradstudies.yorku.ca
http://imaginativeethnography.org