[Candrama] Dystopia: A conference at the University of Regina. Feb 8-9 CFP

Art B. babayants.art at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 17:00:12 EDT 2018

A Conference at the University of Regina: February 8-9, 2019Keynote
Speaker: Cherie
Dimaline, author of *The Marrow Thieves* (2017)

Imaginary and real dystopian worlds occupy an important place in
contemporary culture. Popular television series such as the adaptation of
Margaret Atwood's *The Handmaid's Tale* or the Netflix series, *The Rain*,
invite the viewer to imagine humanity *in extremis*, subject to intense
environmental, social or psychological pressures. Novelists like Cormac
McCarthy (*The Road*) and Omar el Akaad (*American War*) present
post-apocalyptic worlds in which the struggle to survive exposes humanity's
frailties as well as its potentialities. Others, like Naomi Alderman (*The
Power)* imagine worlds in which normative relationships defined by gender,
class, or race are turned upside down. Such works are revealing both of
contemporary anxieties and our enduring fascination with what it means to
be human. This call for papers invites proposals for papers, presentations,
or performances from all disciplines that reflect upon the relationship
between modern Dystopias and the human condition. Topics may include:

- Feminist Dystopias

- Urban Dystopias

- Refugees and Dystopia

- Environmental catastrophe and Dystopia

- Technological and Digital Dystopias

- Military Dystopias

- Indigenous Dystopias

- Capitalist / Consumer Dystopias

- Dystopias, Past, Present and Future / Real and Unreal

- The Dystopian Critique of Language

- The Dystopian Survivor's Tale

- Communication and the Cryptic in Dystopian worlds

- Dystopia and Resistance / Dystopia and the Underground

Please submit paper proposals (300 words) and a brief CV to
*humanities.research at uregina.ca*.

Deadline for submission of proposals: September 30, 2018.

Humanities Research Institute
3737 Wascana Parkway
Regina, SK S4S 0A2
www.humanitiesresearch.org

--

Toronto Laboratory Theatre/Théâtre-Laboratoire de Toronto
www.torontolab.org