[Candrama] Information on Banned or Censored Plays

Don Rubin drubin at yorku.ca
Fri Aug 16 18:13:27 EDT 2019

Futz in Toronto.  Lot of studies on the case. Also Passe Muraille’s We Love You Baby Blue.

Don Rubin

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 16, 2019, at 2:13 PM, Ginny Ratsoy <Gratsoy at tru.ca<mailto:Gratsoy at tru.ca>> wrote:

Dear Colleagues:

I am posting this request for information on behalf of the President and AD of City Stage in New Westminster, BC. If you can assist, please respond directly to either Christopher Walmsley (cwalmsley at tru.ca<mailto:cwalmsley at tru.ca>) or Renee Bucciarelli (renee at fraj.com<mailto:renee at fraj.com>). Many thanks.

We are interested in hearing about Canadian plays that were banned or censored by authorities of various kinds--police, theatre boards, censors, municipal/provincial governments.

In Vancouver, British Columbia we are aware that Tobacco Road (1953), the Beard (1970) and Captive of the Faceless Drummer (1970) all were controversial to the point of being shut down.

Are there any more examples from British Columbia?

Were there censored/banned plays in the rest of Canada during the 20th century?

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Christopher Walmsley (President)  cwalmsley at tru.ca<mailto:cwalmsley at tru.ca>  Renee Bucciarelli  ( Artistic Director)  renee at fraj.com<mailto:renee at fraj.com>

City Stage New Westminster