[Candrama] OFF-SCRIPT: A day of workshops and conversation

Matthew Jones mf.jones at utoronto.ca
Fri May 3 17:47:10 EDT 2019

Hi all,

People in Toronto may be interested in attending this day of workshops on intercultural and political performance at CanStage next Tuesday.

Matt

View online<https://us2.campaign-archive.com/?e=&u=820c28ff95085d71ed824ccd8&id=8b1e6259e0>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/820c28ff95085d71ed824ccd8/images/681c398a-26d2-438a-bfaf-f8cf488725ea.png]<https://www.canadianstage.com/online?utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=8b1e6259e0-Off+Script&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ab3ab478ff-8b1e6259e0->

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/820c28ff95085d71ed824ccd8/images/72521282-03c1-43b0-9c0e-0cea45be9529.jpg]<https://www.facebook.com/events/643072056136116/?utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=8b1e6259e0-Off+Script&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ab3ab478ff-8b1e6259e0->

We're opening our doors to Toronto's artists for a day of workshops and discussions about important questions facing the local arts community. As part of our RBC Emerging Artists Program<https://www.canadianstage.com/Online/article/rbc?utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=8b1e6259e0-Off+Script&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ab3ab478ff-8b1e6259e0->, this event is both a networking opportunity for emerging artists and a forum to learn and discuss artistic practices in Toronto.

TUESDAY MAY 7 | 10:00am - 6:30pm
See below for full schedule. All events are free.
Seating is limited so please RSVP to attend.

RSVP<http://bit.ly/csOffScript?utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=8b1e6259e0-Off+Script&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ab3ab478ff-8b1e6259e0->

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/820c28ff95085d71ed824ccd8/images/0623d170-fffe-47f6-984e-e318f1de1c84.jpg]
10:00am - 12:00pm
Alyssa Martin
Squash the Boss: Harvesting the Creative Brain through Movement
Guest Facilitator: Susie Burpee - Created in collaboration with Valerie Calam and Susie Burpee

A workshop and play session designed to help creators dissolve their internal boss and cultivate a fruitful working environment to access the truly surprising. Open to artists who create movement-based work of any kind.

12:00 - 1:00pm
Break

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/820c28ff95085d71ed824ccd8/images/c60652bc-295b-4337-b7f8-2e4da2a39095.jpg]
1:00 – 3:00pm
Tawiah Ben M'Carthy
Creation Workshop and Conversation: Creating Inter-Cultural work in CanadaGuest Facilitator: Esie Mensah

Actively explore a variety of methods of creating, investigating, and exchange with an on-your-feet workshop followed by a debrief. All participants are encouraged to engage in a discussion which questions how we approach theatre-making while retaining and expressing our individual cultural identities.

3:00 - 3:30pm
Break

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/820c28ff95085d71ed824ccd8/images/6f57379e-25c9-4330-ae34-9a9eb9920820.jpg]
3:30 - 5:30pm
Nowadays Theatre Company
Panel Discussion: Political Theatre in Iran and Canada
Panelists: Aida Keykhali, Mohammad Yagoubi, Marjan Moosavi and Matt Jones

Political theatre in Iran is systematically undervalued by the government. Artists have also been persecuted for taking risks, telling stories people are not always ready to hear, and for holding up a mirror to reflect the current realities of the status quo. In this discussion we ask: What subjects are extremely political and forbidden in Iran? How does it compare to political theatre in Canada?

5:30 - 6:30pm
Artist Mixer
We end the day with a social event. Have a beverage, meet your fellow artists in the community, network, and share your expertise and experiences.

416.368.3110 | canadianstage.com<https://www.canadianstage.com/?utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=8b1e6259e0-Off+Script&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ab3ab478ff-8b1e6259e0->

[Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/cdnstage?utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=8b1e6259e0-Off+Script&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ab3ab478ff-8b1e6259e0->
[Twitter]<http://www.twitter.com/canadianstage?utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=8b1e6259e0-Off+Script&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ab3ab478ff-8b1e6259e0->
[YouTube]<http://www.youtube.com/canadianstage?utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=8b1e6259e0-Off+Script&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ab3ab478ff-8b1e6259e0->
[Instagram]<http://instagram.com/canadianstage?utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=8b1e6259e0-Off+Script&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ab3ab478ff-8b1e6259e0->

SEASON SPONSOR

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/820c28ff95085d71ed824ccd8/images/322287f8-0abd-4b82-8b4d-03600ab1001e.png]

OUR SUPPORTERS

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/820c28ff95085d71ed824ccd8/images/092f7bb1-06f5-425f-b3c9-4bcb02387667.png]

Photo Credits: (1) Aida Keykhaii, Mohammad Yaghoubi, Tawiah Ben M'Carthy and Alyssa Martin. Photo: V. Tony Hauser. (2) Alyssa Martin in rehearsal. Photo: Nathan Kelly. (3) Tawiah Ben M'Carthy in rehearsal. Photo: Nathan Kelly. (4) Nowadays Theatre Company in rehearsal. Photo: Nathan Kelly.

26 Berkeley Street, Toronto ON M5A 2W3
Box Office 416.368.3110 Admin 416.367.8243
Charity No: 11922 0028 RR0001
UNSUBSCRIBE<https://canadianstage.us2.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=820c28ff95085d71ed824ccd8&id=ab3ab478ff&e=&c=8b1e6259e0>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/820c28ff95085d71ed824ccd8/images/3daaa93d-5619-4178-955f-ac0f594b8d44.png]