[Candrama] Fwd: The Ward Cabaret

Julia Gray juliagray at possiblearts.ca
Sun Nov 24 17:01:49 EST 2019

Hello CanDrama colleagues!
I am forwarding this information on behalf of my good friend John Lorinc,
that might be of interest to folks in the Toronto area.  'The Ward Cabaret'
is a performance piece that builds on the book 'he Ward: The Life and Loss
of Toronto's First Immigrant Neighbourhood', which was originally edited by
John, as well as Michael McLelland, Ellen Scheinberg, and Tatum Taylor.

Various links are below for more info, but might be of interest to folks
engaging in historical performances, public scholarship, performance and
migration, performance and cities/city development, among others.

Warmly,
Julia

Hey Julia,

Thank you so much for offering to share information about the show.

There's lots of content at our official website: http://www.wardcabaret.com.

Here's a short video David did, outlining how this project came into
existence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sypJl8S9a5A

Here's a column about the project by Bernie Farber:
https://www.cjnews.com/perspectives/farber-the-songs-that-kept-our-dreams-alive

Here's a link to the award-winning anthology the show was based on:
https://chbooks.com/Books/T/The-Ward

Btw, the ticket prices are very good -- discounts for students and arts
workers, plus group discounts.

Thanks again! I greatly appreciate your help (and hope you guys will be
joining us). JL

--
Julia Gray, PhD
SSHRC Post Doctoral Fellow

Academic Fellow
Centre for Critical Qualitative Health Research

email: juliagray at possiblearts.ca phone: 416-884-6941
http://possiblearts.ca ~ @PossibleArts

Current article: Seriously Foolish and Foolishly Serious: The Art and
Practice of Clowns in Children's Rehabilitation <https://rdcu.be/bLopy>