[Candrama] Persecution of Russian Theatre artists - trial and sentencing of artists from 7th Studio Moscow

Yana Meerzon Yana.Meerzon at uOttawa.ca
Fri Jun 26 09:09:43 EDT 2020

Dear colleagues,
I would like to bring to your attention the petition down below. The cause speaks to itself.
The trial is on, right now, right this moment, as I'm writing this letter to you. Any help will be of great importance.
Do not hesitate to distribute widely.

Yana Meerzon, Ph.D.
Professor
Director: Studies in Migration Research Group<http://artsites.uottawa.ca/studies-migration/>
Department of Theatre, University of Ottawa
135 Séraphin-Marion, Room 304B
Ottawa ON Canada, K1N 6N5
Telephone: 613 562-5800, ext. 2243
E-mail: ymeerzon at uOttawa.ca
Website: https://arts.uottawa.ca/theatre/en/people/meerzon-yana

________________________________
From: SCUDD List at JISC <SCUDD at JISCMAIL.AC.UK> on behalf of MCCARTNEY Nicola <nicola.mccartney at ED.AC.UK>
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2020 8:53 AM
To: SCUDD at JISCMAIL.AC.UK <SCUDD at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Subject: Persecution of Russian Theatre artists - trial and sentencing of artists from 7th Studio Moscow

Attention : courriel externe | external email
A FRIENDLY REMINDER: if you click REPLY to this email, you will be sending an email to over 3000 subscribers. Please do so only if you wish to respond to everyone. To join, leave or suspend list postings, visit www.scudd.org.uk/list

Dear Colleagues and friends,

I hope you are all well.

I ask that you read and sign, via google docs, the letter can be found  by following this link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T4B3a96ETkE6lJR2j-LNlrLV4WnLVMJSPDNDFwG2Pj0/edit?usp=sharing

I'll email the letter on Monday to the Russian Embassy and Consulate as well as the court if I can find those details. I appreciate you sharing the link to anyone you think might support. The cutt off is Monday 29th at noon.

It protests the spurious prosecution and sentencing of internationally acclaimed theatre director, Kiril Serebrennikov and his production associates on charges of corruption and embezzlement which have not been proven by evidence. Kiril and his colleagues have been under house arrest since 2017. Witnesses have been threatened, performances which have been staged and reviewed have been claimed not to have happened by the prosecution despite photographic and video evidence of them. The prosecution has been driven by politicians who support an organisation which lobbies for "traditional" Russian Theatre and we also believe this may be motivated by Serebrennikov's sexuality. Laws exist in  Russia to make illegal work which "promotes" LGBTQI issues.

There is more background here:

background on 7th Studio trial<https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/06/16/key-witness-in-serebrennikovs-fraud-trial-claims-severe-pressure-from-investigators-a70592>

There is also a petition here by Schaubuhne Theatre, Berlin:

petition<https://www.change.org/p/freiheit-f%C3%BCr-kirill-serebrennikov-freekirill?fbclid=IwAR2iDmP14F5n6rJunbtKvs9BjW3B3AT6sHSl4qKbroMGAg1TMXAR5NZbKYU>

Thank you.

Nicola McCartney

Reader, Writing for Performance, University of Edinburgh

Content posted in these emails does not represent SCUDD, but the views of the individual poster. Events advertised via the list are not necessarily endorsed by SCUDD. Any complaints, requests or comments about list usage can be addressed to m.j.taylorbatty at leeds.ac.uk. (Requests sent to this email to post materials on the list will be ignored, for reasons of efficiency)