[Candrama] New book out now: "Cutting Plays for Performance"

Toby Malone toby.malone at oswego.edu
Tue Dec 21 19:14:33 EST 2021

Hello!

I am very pleased to announce to the list the release of a new book, co-authored by (Canadian dramaturg and U of T grad!) Toby Malone and Aili Huber, available NOW, that will be of interest to the community. Cutting Plays for Performance: A Practical and Accessible Guide features practical exercises, examples, and case studies in text cutting in the works of playwrights including Shakespeare, Shaw, Aeschylus, Middleton, Centlivre, and many more. Importantly, the book concludes with a reminder as to the legality of text cutting, to ensure all users are aware of what can be cut, and how. We have also developed a companion website, at www.cuttingplays.com <http://www.cuttingplays.com/> which features cutting tools and further enrichment.

Crucially, the book also includes an amazing set of interviews with globally renowned theatre artists, including James Shapiro, Anne Bogart, Peter Oswald, James Evans, Kate Mulvany, Tim Carroll, and Antoni Cimolino.

It has been a labor of love to produce Cutting Plays for Performance, and early reviews have been extremely positive:
“Anyone who stages Shakespeare’s plays—and those of other leading playwrights—knows that to revive these works typically means to trim them.  But how should they be cut?  And at what cost?  Cutting Plays for Performance brilliantly explores the techniques and approaches that govern how this is done.  It’s an original and practical book, one that actors, directors, scholars, and playgoers will find—as I have—an engrossing and invaluable read.” James Shapiro, author of 1599: A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare

"Drawing on interviews with some of the world's leading directors as well as their own experiences of the stage, Malone and Huber have produced a lively and engaging guide to an essential (but often invisible) component of any theatrical performance: cutting the text. With examples from across the dramatic canon and written in an accessible style, Cutting Plays for Performance is an indispensable resource for budding students, practitioners, and critics of theatre. I still can't believe this book hasn't existed until now." Brett Greatley-Hirsch, University of Leeds

We have been building our social media over the last few months and have been receiving great feedback from our followers over the sneak previews to the book. We would love it if you might push news of the book out to your channels and those in the community who might be interested in reading about this vital process.

We have a useful website, at www.cuttingplays.com <http://www.cuttingplays.com/>, and we would love it if you would follow our social media (or promote us on yours!):

www.twitter.com/cuttingplays <http://www.twitter.com/cuttingplays>
www.instagram.com/cuttingplays <http://www.instagram.com/cuttingplays>
www.facebook.com/cuttingplays <http://www.facebook.com/cuttingplays>
The book is available through Routledge’s site at this link <https://www.routledge.com/Cutting-Plays-for-Performance-A-Practical-and-Accessible-Guide/Malone-Huber/p/book/9780367748883?utm_source=cjaffiliates&utm_medium=affiliates&cjevent=5f2a9a7a47b811ec82d3c5a30a82b82c>, as well as on Amazon and all other book retailing locations. See the attached flyer for a discount code that will get you 20% off at the Routledge site to the end of the year!

Sincerely,

Toby Malone and Aili Huber

_____________________

Toby Malone, Ph.D (He/Him/His)
Assistant Professor of Theatre History, Criticism, and Dramaturgy
State University of New York at Oswego
Theatre Department
125C Tyler Hall (LGBTQIA+ Safe Space)
Oswego, NY
toby.malone at oswego.edu <mailto:toby.malone at oswego.edu>
315-312-2579

www.turglife.com <http://www.turglife.com/>
www.dramaturgyhub.com <http://www.dramaturgyhub.com/>

Pre-order <https://www.routledge.com/Cutting-Plays-for-Performance-A-Practical-and-Accessible-Guide/Malone-Huber/p/book/9780367748883> Cutting Plays for Performance: A Practical and Accessible Guide from Routledge, launching in December 2021

Faculty Advisor
Oswego Black Widows Women’s Rugby
Oswego Wizards Men’s Rugby