[Candrama] New from Playwrights Canada Press + discount code!

Jessica Lewis jessica at playwrightscanada.com
Tue Jul 6 14:17:26 EDT 2021

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a nice start to the summer! I am writing to let you know of new books and other exciting news from Playwrights Canada Press.

We really miss seeing everyone at the annual CATR conference, but virtual settings have provided us opportunities to show you more in-depth looks at some of our books. This year, we created four video interviews that are available to watch on our YouTube channel:

  *   Watch<https://youtu.be/6ErL4BcbQEE> Norman Yeung discuss Theory<https://www.playwrightscanada.com/Books/T/Theory> with Jenn Stephenson
  *   Watch<https://youtu.be/xvsuuNNciW4> Jivesh Parasram talk Take d Milk, Nah?<https://www.playwrightscanada.com/Books/T/Take-d-Milk-Nah> with Yana Meerzon
  *   Watch<https://youtu.be/giNn5BBecgI> Makambe K Simamba reflect on Our Fathers, Sons, Lovers and Little Brothers<https://www.playwrightscanada.com/Books/O/Our-Fathers-Sons-Lovers-and-Little-Brothers> with Catherine Hernandez
  *   Watch<https://youtu.be/TzQv31z0L1w> Freya Björg Olafson present Avatar (included in Long Live the New Flesh<https://www.playwrightscanada.com/Books/L/Long-Live-the-New-Flesh>) with David Owen

And in case you missed it last fall, you can watch a wonderful In Conversation event<https://youtu.be/Dg-yx1JqWf8> we had on The Breathing Hole<https://www.playwrightscanada.com/Books/T/The-Breathing-Hole> with playwright Colleen Murphy, translator Janet Tamalik McGrath, and director Reneltta Arluk.

As for books to check out, head over to our New Releases<https://www.playwrightscanada.com/Books/New-Releases> and Coming Soon<https://www.playwrightscanada.com/Books/Coming-Soon> pages to see all of the newly published Canadian theatre we have to offer! Besides the ones mentioned above, I’d like to point out a few more:

When Words Sing: Seven Canadian Libretti<https://www.playwrightscanada.com/Books/W/When-Words-Sing> edited by Julie Salverson
This is the first known collection of English-language libretti, and it just so happens to be all Canadian! Along with the seven libretti, the book also features supplementary interviews, essays, and illustrations from directors, designers, and composers.

The Bridge<https://www.playwrightscanada.com/Books/T/The-Bridge> by Shauntay Grant
Set in a rural Black Nova Scotian community, this gospel-infused tale explores the complex relationship between two brothers strained over twenty years of secrecy, deception, and dishonour.

Beautiful Man & Other Short Plays<https://www.playwrightscanada.com/Books/B/Beautiful-Man-Other-Short-Plays> by Erin Shields
Erin Shields has crafted three thought-provoking plays that centre on the inner lives of women, offering space to those who dare to listen. The titular play is an eviscerating satire of gender roles in pop culture, while Unit B-1717 features a woman confronting the way she has subjugated herself to the needs of others, and And then there was you explores the profound connection between mother and child.

Refractions: Scenes<https://www.playwrightscanada.com/Books/R/Refractions-Scenes> edited by Donna-Michelle St. Bernard and Yvette Nolan
This book is a collection of scenes from diverse contemporary works by Canadian playwrights that reflect the country’s artistic landscape through a breadth of themes, styles, cultures, regions, and creative practices. A must-have source for actors and students!

**If you want to stock up on books, you can get 30% off anything on playwrightscanada.com with the CATR discount code AGORA up until this Saturday, July 10!**

And as always, I’m happy to provide personalized recommendations, just email me at jessica at playwrightscanada.com<mailto:jessica at playwrightscanada.com>.

Take care,
Jessica

--