[Candrama] Call for Participation Extended

Paul Fryer paul at paulfryer.me.uk
Thu Sep 16 07:31:09 EDT 2021

=======================

*EXTENDED: CALL FOR PARTICIPATION - _now 24th September_
*

The S Word in partnership with the University of Notre Dame London
Global Gateway presents

*/Stanislavsky and Race: Questioning the 'System' in the 21st Century/*

An international symposium hosted by the University of Notre Dame London
Global Gateway

Keynote Speakers:

  * *Dr Dominic Hingorani*, Professor of Performing Arts at University
    of East London and Co-Artistic Director of Brolly Productions (UK/)/
  * *Kristine Landon-Smith*, Director, Educator and Co-founder of
    Tamasha Theatre (UK)
  * *Dr Monica White Ndounou*,//Actor, Director, Associate Professor at
    Dartmouth College, Founding Executive Director of The CRAFT
    Institute and Convener of The International Black Theatre Summit (US)

Co-conveners:
Siiri Scott, Head of Acting and Directing, Affiliate Faculty of the
Initiative on Race and Resilience, University of Notre Dame (US)
Dr Gerald 'Jay' Paul Skelton, Lecturer, Royal Central School of Speech
and Drama (UK)

*Friday and Saturday
19 and 20 November 2021*

Venues:
Online and Fischer Hall, University of Notre Dame London Global Gateway,
London, England

How can we as scholars, practitioners, teachers and
performers-in-training excavate Stanislavsky’s writings, cull effective
modalities, and develop inclusive techniques moving forward? Or is
Stanislavsky's 'system' simply no longer useful in the
twenty-first century as we create anti-racist approaches to our work?

We invite proposals in the format of your choosing, but also offer the
following three modes of participation:

  * *pre-recorded online presentation/workshop followed by live online Q
    and A*
  * *live-streamed online presentation/workshop from your location*
  * *in-person live-streamed presentation/workshop from symposium site *

Please send a short written proposal of no more than 200 words to Siiri
Scott (sscott2 at nd.edu <mailto:sscott2 at nd.edu>) and Dr Gerald 'Jay' Paul
Skelton (jay.skelton at cssd.ac.uk <mailto:jay.skelton at cssd.ac.uk>) to
arrive no later than *Friday 24 September 2021*. Please also include
your choice of presentation format from those listed above.

The symposium serves as the key source for 'Stanislavsky & Race', the
first title in a series of books to be published by Routledge under the
banner 'Stanislavsky & …' that focuses on the legacy and teaching of
Konstantin Stanislavsky in the context of major contemporary themes and
creative /performance genres.

*The S Word* is a collaborative international research project with
partners in The UK, Europe, USA and Australia. Founded by Bella Merlin
and Paul Fryer, the project explores the legacy of Stanislavsky's work
within a contemporary context. The S Word is based at London South Bank
University, and is supported by The Stanislavsky Research Centre.