[Candrama] Watershed Music Theatre Festival CFP

Kelsey Laine Jacobson jacobson.kelseylaine at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 15:32:46 EST 2022

Hello Colleagues,

Please see below the CFP for the 2022 Watershed Music Theatre Festival Symposium. More info about Watershed can be found here: https://www.watershedmusictheatre.com/

Warmly,

Kelsey

> quote_type

We welcome submissions for the 2022 Watershed Music Theatre Festival Symposium, planned for May 24-29, 2022 at the Isabel Bader Centre for the Performing Arts at Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada. The Symposium will feature a combination of virtual and in-person sessions, allowing for engaging face-to-face workshops and collaborative sessions at the stunning Isabel Bader Centre for the Performing Arts on the shores of Lake Ontario, as well as sessions that allow us to gather across borders and time zones online.

The Symposium aims to bring together artists, scholars, and artist-scholars in a celebration of all things music theatre. We hope to push the boundaries of the genre by exploring ideas that cross generic boundaries; asking difficult questions of works, practices, or principles; and considering creative and empowering ways forward for those of us working in this field. We are interested in dissolving disciplinary, subdisciplinary, and academic/professional boundaries and forming new circles of conversation around the possibilities for music and theatre to speak truth, connect communities, and tell new stories. Acknowledging the fraught colonial legacies of opera and musical theatre vis-à-vis the stories they have told and the practices they have adopted, we are interested in inviting new voices into conversation with one another through a shared interest in music, theatre, and story. We invite practitioners, actors, singers, dancers, fans, academics, technicians, designers, directors, and any others invested in the many branches of this art form to join us to explore the following questions: What brilliant genre-defying work is being done in music theatre, and what is at stake in this work? What threads need to be pulled at in order to unravel the harm that has been caused by work in music theatre? What new stories need to be told, and how might they be told differently or more impactfully through music theatre? How might widening or re-organizing our circles of conversation change our practices and field for the better?
We welcome proposals from artists, practitioners, junior, mid-career, or senior scholars, as well as students, for the following types of sessions:

• Papers (15-min.)
• Lightning Talks (5 min.)
• Workshops (45 min. or 90 min.)
• Curated Panels (45 min.)

We also welcome sessions that combine some of the above elements. We encourage topics, questions, and presentation styles that challenge traditional academic boundaries and that might engage practitioners, performers, and professionals in conversation. We will also host a Student Salon Program, which will celebrate student engagement in music theatre, and will foster conversation and community through daily spaces and events geared towards rising and emerging voices in the field.
Please submit questions and abstracts of 300 words to Dr. Colleen Renihan at colleen.renihan at queensu.ca by March 1, 2022. Indicate session type (paper, workshop, etc.) and whether you would prefer to join us in person or online.
Queen’s University is situated on the territory of the Haudenosaunee and Anishinaabek.
Ne Queen’s University e’tho nońwe nikanónhsote tsi nońwe ne Haudenosaunee tánon Anishinaabek tehatihsnónhsahere ne óhontsa.
Gimaakwe Gchi-gkinoomaagegamig atemagad Naadowe miinwaa Anishinaabe aking.