[Candrama] Call for Roundtable Participants: Digital Humanities in Performance Research (CATR Conference June 2024)

Laurel Green laurelkg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 09:14:55 EDT 2024

Call for Roundtable Participants: Digital Humanities in Performance Research
Co-Conveners: Heather Davis-Fisch, Laurel Green, Sasha Kovacs, Matthew Tomkinson

Presented at the  <https://catracrt.ca/conference/catr-2024-conference-information/>Canadian <https://catracrt.ca/conference/catr-2024-conference-information/> Association of Theatre Research (CATR) Conference <https://catracrt.ca/conference/catr-2024-conference-information/>
Staging Justice: People, Places, Planet, and Practice
June 17-20th, 2024 at McGill University in Montréal, Québec, as part of the 2024 Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences <https://www.federationhss.ca/en/congress2024>
Conference Registration is required. In-person participation.

In the recent article “Digital Humanities and Theatre Studies: From Fragility to Stability” Zafiris Nikitas notes that “Theatre and digital humanities face the same challenge: the entropy of transience.”  Drawing on Nikitas’ proposal that performance-related DH research projects might better stand the test of time if developed within “intertwined research matrixes,” this roundtable invites theatre and performance scholars and artists, whose work engages digital tools and technologies, to collaboratively share the lessons learned from their past, present, or future projects, and to engage in open discussion concerning opportunities and challenges of DH work in the context of our discipline. The roundtable will invite each participant to offer a brief 5-min. lightning-round contribution, followed by a facilitated group discussion that considers possibilities for collaboration and cross-pollination, moving forward.
Through this roundtable, we’re interested in bringing together scholars and artists engaged in theatre and performance studies research to:

- Amplify and network current digital humanities projects: we want to share knowledge about our field’s present engagement of digital tools in performance scholarship. With these presentations, we hope to cross-fertilize knowledge about a range of projects in our field that employ DH for diverse approaches to: knowledge mobilization, research networking, performance mapping, archival research, exhibition, equity, pedagogy, advocacy, inclusion, anti-racism, decolonization, community bridging, partnership, and other aims.

- Create a space for supportive co-sharing and co-learning: we want to hear about challenges and opportunities researchers have faced through their own engagement with digital tools and methods included but not limited to: responses to concerns about obsolescence and trascience, approaches to peer-review structures for online (digital) publication, challenges through the design and technical development process.

- Imagine possibilities for support of developing and future DH projects: we want to bring together scholars and artists that are imagining new possibilities for digital humanities approaches, informed by work outside and beyond the discipline, through discussions of potential futures or emerging projects that engage DH in theatre and performance research. We are keen to also hear about how DH learning is being incorporated into the theatre and performance studies classroom, and how DH can inform the transformation of pedagogy at the undergraduate and graduate level.

We encourage participation from scholars that have established projects which employ DH, as well as scholars/artists that might be new to or interested in engagement with DH practices.

If you would like to participate in our roundtable please send a 250-word description of your potential contribution, and a 50-word biography to Laurel Green, roundtable organizer, at laurelgreen at uvic.ca <mailto:laurelgreen at uvic.ca> by April 19, 2024. Please note that in-person participation in the roundtable is required.