[Candrama] Call For Papers

CSET CSET at uregina.ca
Wed Mar 13 11:07:57 EDT 2024

Cultural Appropriation, Pedagogy and Higher Education
Debates, Dilemmas, and Future Directions

Editors: Dr. Taiwo Afolabi and Dr. Marthinus Conradie

Call for Papers

Based on the article titled, The fear of cultural appropriation is the
beginning of wokeness in learning? Reflections from teaching in Canada
( https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13569783.2023.2219210)
(Afolabi 2023), this edited volume investigates cultural appropriation
within the context of higher education across cultures and disciplines.
In this call for chapters, we proceed from three foundational
principles. First, higher education must endeavour to equip students
with the intellectual capabilities, ethical frameworks and affective
dispositions to meaningfully engage issues of contemporary significance,
such as systemic forms of intersectional oppression and environmental
degradation. Second, to do so, pedagogic interactions in higher
education must carefully balance the imperative to foster spaces and
relationships in which students can feel comfortable enough to
participate actively in creating knowledge around such topics, while
also being courageous enough to unpack discomforting topics that
challenge students’ (and teachers’) existing epistemologies, normative
assumptions and worldviews. Third, the fear of being accused of cultural
appropriation can, under certain conditions, endanger this balancing act
if, for example, anxiety over being accused of cultural appropriation
inclines students and teachers to shy away from challenging and
discomforting, yet critical topics.

Numerous conceptualizations of cultural appropriation have been
developing since the 1970s. Debates within and across academic
disciplines have not only refined our theorizations of the concept but
have also prompted scholars to engage a wide spectrum of contexts,
including consumer and celebrity cultures and political discourse. In
this call for chapters, we encourage contributors to consider whether
(and how) fears of cultural appropriation might impact everyday
pedagogic practices in the context of higher education. Can fears of
being accused of cultural appropriation stymie students and academics’
capacity to engage cardinal contemporary issues such as racism,
intersectional oppression, decolonization and other axes of academic
enquiry that demand collaboration between students and teachers in
higher education?

Given that the term cultural appropriation has entered wider
circulation in political, educational, commercial and popular cultural
contexts, we consider the topic timely and vital. More students are
entering higher education with some conception of what cultural
appropriation might be and how it should shape their behaviour in
education settings. Correspondingly, more academics are undertaking
their teaching responsibilities with some awareness that they and/or
their students might face accusations of cultural appropriation.

We encourage contributors to adopt a critical approach to the question
by considering these points.
o   How might systemic and asymmetric power relations be at play in
both students’ and teachers’ anxieties around cultural appropriation?
o   What role might contemporary identity politics within and beyond
university contexts play in shaping such fears, such as the
politicization of identity along left vs. right-wing groupings?
o   How is cultural appropriation related to wokeness in higher
education?
o   How might social media and other venues for identity construction
mediate these fears?
o   How can we distinguish ethically-sound forms of cultural sharing,
respect and appreciation from cultural appropriation; how might such
distinctions help to address both fears around cultural appropriation,
and the deleterious impact that cultural appropriation exerts on
victimized communities?
o   How might epistemologies of ignorance and contemporary forms of
activism impact these fears?

In offering this broad range of starting points, we also encourage
contributors to draw from a wide range of intellectual traditions and
cultural experiences. We encourage co-authorship between scholars,
educators and administrators across the globe. Moreover, we also confirm
that by calling for scholarly works on these starting points, we do not
intend to downplay the adverse impact that cultural appropriation has
exerted on affected communities – both historically and under
contemporary conditions of systemic marginalisation.

Contributors are requested to submit 5,000-7,000 words engaging with
the theme using any of the above-mentioned starting points (but other
suggestions are also welcome). The editors welcome abstracts for a
review of 300 words (max), along with 100-word biographies for each
author.

Timeline
Deadline for abstracts: 15th April 2024
Authors notified: June 2024
First draft chapters due: October 2024
Manuscript submitted: Fall 2025

Please send abstracts to all the editors using the email address below:
cabp2025 at gmail.com