Lecture Series - Cultural Encounters / Encountering Cultures

James M. Skidmore skidmore at uwaterloo.ca
Sun Mar 7 18:52:58 EST 2010

Cultural Encounters / Encountering Cultures

A series of ten public lectures by members of the Faculty of Arts at the
University of Waterloo

Winter Term 2010 - Mondays at 4:30pm - Arts Lecture Hall Room 113

Join your Faculty of Arts colleagues as they explore the interaction of
societies and cultures.

Upcoming lecture:  Monday 8 March 2009, 4:30pm, Arts Lecture Hall Room 113
Francois Pare (French Studies)
Minorities and Globalization: An Ecology of Cultural Encounters
Economic globalization and world-wide migrations in the late 20th century
and the beginning of the 21st century have put in question the very survival
of our linguistic and cultural diversity. As dozens of languages disappear
every year, it is assumed that the 6,000 languages currently spoken on the
five continents will be reduced to just a few hundred by the end of this
century. For the moment, individual national governments have been able to
protect local cultures and languages, but their action is frequently
challenged by large multinational concerns in the area of culture. In view
of promoting a change of paradigm in the way we view languages, we will
explore how linguistic and cultural diversity, like biological diversity,
must be seen as part of our global human ecology.

Podcasts

After the lectures I conduct an interview with each presenters.  These
conversations are available as online podcasts - it's like Radio Canada,
mais en anglais.

Interview with Mario Boido ("Our North is the South": Politics, Identity,
and the Latin American avant-garde"):
http://www.arts.uwaterloo.ca/arts301/boido.html

Interview with Andy McMurry (The Green and the Brown: Sustainable versus
Unsustainable Culture):  http://www.arts.uwaterloo.ca/arts301/mcmurry.html

Interview with Joan Coutu (Seeing from Afar: "Orientalism" and
Nineteenth-century Art): http://www.arts.uwaterloo.ca/arts301/coutu.html

Interview with David G. John (The Legend of Faust as a Mirror of European
Culture and an Example of Cultural Transfer):
http://www.arts.uwaterloo.ca/arts301/john.html

Interview with Altay Coskun (Were the Romans Generous in Conveying their
Citizenship?): http://www.arts.uwaterloo.ca/arts301/coskun.html

Interview with Sheila Ager (West meets East: Greeks, Persians, and the Birth
of "Orientalism"): http://www.arts.uwaterloo.ca/arts301/ager.html

Interview with Mat Schulze (Cultural Encounter of the Language Kind):
http://www.arts.uwaterloo.ca/arts301/schulze.html

Complete details at www.arts.uwaterloo.ca/arts301.

James M. Skidmore

Chair, Germanic & Slavic Studies

Faculty of Arts / University of Waterloo

Waterloo, ON  N2L 3G1  CANADA

E | skidmore at uwaterloo.ca

T | 519.888.4567, x33687

F | 519.746.5243