UW Drama presents An Experiment with an Air Pump

Robin Atchison ratchiso at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Mar 3 13:04:13 EST 2011

UW Drama presents An Experiment with an Air Pump by Shelagh Stephenson in
the Theatre of the Arts on March 10-12 and 17-19 at 8 pm.

This play takes as its point of departure Joseph Wright's 18th century
painting An Experiment on a Bird in an Air Pump in which a scientist is
placed "where you usually find God". Stephenson's play asks whether the
scientist has a right to 'play God', and if so, at what cost when a life
lies in the balance?

As we travel back and forth between 1799 and 1999, we realize that although
the context may have changed, the basic questions remain the same. We are
still playing with life and death and aren't really able to deal adequately
with the serious ethical questions that come hand in hand with technological
and scientific advances and our yearning to "change the world". The story is
also a vivid commentary on evolving gender roles within two unfolding,
family dramas. Two marriages, intimately portrayed, form the prism through
which we view the story.

Finally, there is a bit of Agatha Christie in the telling as well. Some fun
on the way and a mystery slowly unveiled which packs a powerful punch in the
end.

Tickets are available from the Box Office in HH, Monday-Friday noon-5:00 pm
or call 519 888-4908. General: $17, Students/Seniors: $13.