Philosophy Colloquium - Fri., Sept. 16, 2011

Vicki Brett vbrett at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Sep 12 12:04:46 EDT 2011

The next Department of Philosophy Colloquium talk will be this coming Friday, September 16, 2011
at 3:30 p.m. in Hagey Hall 373:  Ann Garry, Cal State LA,  " Who is Included ?  Intersectionality and the
Multiplicity of Gender".  The abstract is pasted below and a poster is attached.

Vicki

"Who is Included ? Intersectionality and the Multiplicity of Gender"
Ann Garry
Cal State LA

Both traditional philosophy and feminist philosophy stand to gain in richness, inclusivity, and applicability to real life by reflecting intersectional analyses in their theories.  I encourage such reflection by advocating a concept of intersectionality based on family resemblance analyses.  I caution against asking too much of intersectionality or of the metaphors used to explain it:  intersectionality provides standards for the uses of methods or frameworks rather than theories of power, oppression, agency, or identity.    I test my approach against María Lugones's argument in "Heterosexualism and the Colonial/Modern Gender System" (Hypatia 2007) to determine, in particular, whether we can successfully resist a move to create multiple genders for women.  If we can resist this move, then we can answer the objection that intersectionality fragments women both theoretically and politically.  My intention is to present a modest and flexible concept of intersectionality that can be of use to many kinds of philosophers and other theorists.

Vicki Brett
Undergraduate Coordinator
Philosophy Department - HH 365
University of Waterloo