N. Katherine Hayles Talk Today at 4:30

Jay Dolmage dolmage at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Mar 6 13:31:43 EST 2012

Renowned digital media expert N. Katherine Hayles of Duke University
speaks today at 4:30 pm in AL 124 on the topic of "Speculation," a
multi-player, Alternate Reality Game (ARG).  Dr. Hayles is in
Kitchener-Waterloo all this week as part of an international
collaboration in the study of digital media with researchers from the
Critical Media Lab and graduate students in English.

Together with three of her own graduate students from Duke (Patrick
Jagoda, Ainsley Sutherland, and Patrick Lemieux), Dr. Hayles will
examine this game--which based on a post-apocalyptic scenario in which
markets have crashed and corporations control the world--as a tool to
increase financial literacy.  The lecture is sponsored by the
Department of English Language and Literature, and it grows out of
work in game development being conducted by Hayles and her team at the
Critical Media Lab in Kitchener.

Dr. Hayles, Professor and Director of Graduate Studies in the Program
in Literature at Duke University, is an eminent scholar of science and
technology studies.  She is the award-winning author of nine books,
including Electronic Literature (2008), My Mother Was A Computer
(2005), Writing Machines (2002), and How We Became Posthuman (1999).

The poster for her talk can be found here:

http://www.english.uwaterloo.ca/documents/SpeculationPoster_000.pdf

--
Jay Dolmage, Ph.D
Editor, Canadian Journal of Disability Studies
dolmage at uwaterloo.ca