FW: East-West Concert

Music Assistant musicast at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Mar 20 12:10:01 EDT 2012

Dear faculty and staff:
We welcome you to attend tomorrow night's (Mar 21) exciting East-West concert, Classical: East and West at Knox Presbyterian Church, 7:30 pm.  A short blurb about the concert and the concert program follow below.

What makes music "classical"?  What do we mean when we give music that title?  The East-West Music Series explores the many notions of classical East and West through some of the most beautiful music across cultures.  Featuring the K-W Chinese Music Ensemble, The Madawaska String Quartet, and East-West's Dark Horse Ensemble.

                        Chinese Classical
                        K-W Chinese Music Ensemble

                        String Quartet No. 15 in A-Minor, Op. 132                      Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Molto Adagio                                                                     (1770-1827)
                        Andante
                        Madawaska String Quartet

                        Senesce                                                                                         Nick Storring
                                    Madawaska String Quartet

                        "Classical: East and West"
                        Dark Horse Ensemble with guest artists
                        Sachi Kikuchi, soprano
                        Xujin Ma, pipa

                        String Quartet, Op. 76, No. 4                                                               F. J. Haydn
                        Menuetto                                                                                             (1732-1809)

Julie Nash, Assistant

University of Waterloo Department of Music
Conrad Grebel University College
140 Westmount Rd., Waterloo, ON  N2L 3G6
(519) 885-0220 ext. 24226  Rm. 1104