Macbeth - November 14-17

Robin Atchison robin.atchison at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Nov 12 12:04:04 EST 2012

Everyone is cordially invited to attend uWaterloo Drama's production of Macbeth November 14-17 at 8 pm in the Theatre of the Arts, Modern Languages Building.
Macbeth is Shakespeare's shortest and most intense tragedy. It was also the last tragedy he wrote after Hamlet, Othello, and King Lear. His new approach to a swifter kind of action should leave the audience no time to think. Its intensity is most vividly realized in the play's language, through its repeated words and images. Shakespeare is writing about evil and he evokes it through one of his greatest creations - the character of Macbeth himself - a difficult but willing commitment to darkness. He is both our hero and our villain as evoked in the line "Fair is foul, and foul is fair". It is also a play filled with the supernatural and images of that which is 'real' and 'not real'.
UWaterloo's production of Macbeth explores the Scottish ballads and their fascination with rituals, that through spells, prayer, dance and music, are constantly being evoked in Shakespeare's play. Join us, as through these elements, we help lift Shakespeare's words and images, and ignite your imagination with his fascinating take on this Scottish King.
Tickets available at the HH Box Office (519.888.4908) or at the door. $17 general; $13 students/seniors.
www.facebook.com/uwdramadept
@UWDramaDept