Psychology Colloquium Speaker October 25, 2013 Dr. E. Tory Higgins

Marianne Appleby mappleby at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Oct 15 15:44:33 EDT 2013

Hi,

The first speaker in our 2013-2014 colloquium series, Dr. E. Tory Higgins (Columbia University), will be joining us on Friday, October 25 (flyer attached). The abstract for his talk follows.

We look forward to seeing you on the 25th!

Department of Psychology
Colloquium Series
Presents

Dr. E. Tory Higgins
Value From Engagement

Friday, October 25, 2013
Time: 2:00-3:30 PM
Place: PAS 2083
Reception to Follow in PAS Lounge

Recognizing that value involves experiencing pleasure or pain is critical to understanding the psychology of value. But hedonic experience is not enough. I will present recent research that supports the proposal that strength of engagement also contributes to experienced value-an experience of the intensity of the force of attraction to or repulsion from a value target. Although the subjective pleasure/pain properties of a value target influence strength of engagement, there are factors separate from the hedonic properties of the value target that also influence engagement strength and thus contribute to the value experience of attraction or repulsion. I will discuss research showing the effects on the current value of something from additional sources of engagement strength, including: (1) opposing something that interferes with goal pursuit (dealing with an aversive background noise while solving anagrams by opposing versus coping with it); and (2) preparing in the present for an upcoming event that is experienced as real because of its high expressed likelihood (controlling for the valence and the actual probability of the future event), which makes both a current positive object more positive and a current negative object more negative.