Colloquium Speaker Fri Feb 28, 2 pm PAS 2083 Dr. David Sherry

Sherilee Diebold-Cooze sdiebold at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Feb 26 09:52:22 EST 2014

Dear all,

A friendly reminder that our 2013-2014 colloquium series continues on Friday, February 28. Dr. David Sherry will be joining us from Western University for what looks like a great talk.

We look forward to seeing you on the 28th!

Department of Psychology
Colloquium Series
Presents

Dr. David Sherry
Food Storing, Memory, and Neurogenesis in Black-Capped Chickadees

Friday, February 28, 2014
Time: 2:00-3:30 PM
Place: PAS 2083
Reception to follow in PAS Lounge

Black-capped chickadees remember the locations of large numbers of scattered food caches. Because they recover most their caches after a few days, their inventory of caches is dynamic: new sites are continually added and removed from the set of remembered locations. Chickadees also remember what kind of food they have stored and how long ago they stored it. We have used these properties of food-storing behaviour to examine a number of current ideas about animal memory, including "episodic-like" memory, the phenomena of consolidation and re-consolidation, and the role of adult hippocampal neurogenesis in memory. The food-storing behaviour of chickadees makes it possible to observe memory as it operates in nature and investigate how memory functions to solve specific ecological problems animals encounter in the wild.