Performance studies talk by Terry Robinson on 11/28

John Savarese john.savarese at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Nov 18 14:04:06 EST 2014

Dear Colleagues,

I invite you to join the English Language & Literature Speakers Series on Friday, November 28 for a talk by Terry F. Robinson. Robinson will be visiting from the Department of English at the University of Toronto to deliver a talk entitled "'The glass of fashion and the mould of form': Georgian-Era Specular Performance." The talk will take place in Hagey Hall, room 334 at 3:00 pm (https://uwaterloo.ca/english/events/glass-fashion-and-mould-form-georgian-era-specular).

Robinson's roots are in performance theory and theatre history, with particular focus on the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Her current book project is titled Impassioned Bodies: Acting and Physical Expression in the Late Georgian Era, and her talk will  bring together Romantic-era drama, theories of acting and bodily performance, and the material history of the theatre as a medium. Specifically, Robinson argues that an architectural shift--the installation of mirrors in eighteenth-century playhouses--marked a watershed moment in visual and performance history.

I have attached the poster for this event, and will be announcing our Winter 2015 lineup soon. Please feel free to circulate this and future events widely, and I hope to see some of you at the talk next Friday!

All best,

John Savarese
English Language & Literature
University of Waterloo