Public Lecture: Oct. 23, 2014

Vicki Brett vbrett at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Oct 21 10:31:21 EDT 2014

The Faculty of Arts and the Department of Philosophy present a public lecture by Dr. Elizabeth Bloomfield, Arts honorary doctorate recipient, on Thursday, October 23, 2014 at 4:00 p.m. in Hagey Hall, room 1102.

Author of my own story: Recognizing the words and choices of people without voices

The human rights of people with disabilities have been recognized in principle only very recently--lagging behind the rights of other minorities. Among all their rights, those to express themselves and lead their own lives can be most difficult to have recognized. Communication, especially, is the foundation of much of our lives and so needs recognition as a fundamental human right.

In this presentation, Dr. Bloomfield will survey the evolution of general thought about persons with disabilities in the past half-century and discuss the continuing challenges of realizing the communication and decision-making rights of persons with severe disabilities, including those who communicate in ways other than speaking with their voices.

Reception to follow the lecture.

Dr. Elizabeth Bloomfield will receive an honorary doctorate at Convocation on October 25, 2014 to recognize her lifetime of social innovation on behalf of persons living with disabilities.
Details  https://uwaterloo.ca/arts/events/author-my-own-story-honorary-doctorate-recipient-dr

V. Brett
Undergraduate Coordinator
Philosophy Department - HH 365