Faculty of Arts Orientation 2015 release

Stephanie Bromley sbromley at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jul 23 09:46:21 EDT 2015

Hello,

It's Stephanie Bromley the Arts Student Engagement Officer.  Orientation is often a mystery for faculty and staff.  I invite you to learn more about Arts Orientation.  Your understanding of and enthusiasm for this transition program will go a long way in supporting and welcoming our new students.
Waterloo Orientation is one of the largest orientation programs in North America and one of the only ones that is student-led, utilizing student volunteers.  Orientation 2015<https://uwaterloo.ca/orientation/> runs from Sunday, September 6 to Saturday, September 12.

Orientation Week is a combination of academic support and community-building focused on new student transition (first-years, transfers, and grad students) and is a critical transition moment for new students.  We're working hard to ensure all students receive relevant and engaging academic and social programming.  For 2015 we're making some positive changes with our academic programming, additional Arts community building activities, and are planning an exciting Arts Extravaganza night for our new students.

I'm pleased to introduce Kelly Burke (PSYCH), Bill Yeh (AFM), and Deanna Priori (PSYCH/SDS) - the Faculty of Arts Federation Orientation Committee 2015 (Arts FOC).  The Arts FOC role, and the time commitment required, is extensive with over 1000 VOLUNTEER hours by the end of Orientation Week. These enthusiastic students were hired for this volunteer position last November and have been busy.

  *   Recruiting, training, and mentoring over 140 Arts student Leaders - all volunteers
  *   Building community and strong ties within the Arts student leader teams so they can best support our new students.
  *   Developing meaningful Arts programming for the summer months and for Orientation Week 2015.

The more we all understand the student transition experience (Arts summer transition<arts101.uwaterloo.ca>, Orientation<https://uwaterloo.ca/orientation/>, and Arts Course Selection<https://uwaterloo.ca/arts/current-undergraduates/course-selection/fall-first-year-students>) the better equipped we'll all be to support student success in the Faculty of Arts.
Arts Orientation theme 2015 Revealed!

  *   Spy Academy
     *   Watch the approved theme release video<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8q8poV2wJM> created by our Arts FOC and their Media Team.
  *   Arts Orientation is where all Orientation Week information will be posted.
  *   Attached is the Arts Orientation 2015 logo.
     *   Our mascot Porcellino<https://twitter.com/UWPorcellino> is the star of course.
  *   The secret Arts dance...is...well...secret until Orientation Week!

Get involved!
Interested in meeting our new students? Want to help them feel welcome?
We'll be providing "ask me" buttons for all faculty and staff to wear during Orientation Week and the first week of class, but you can also get involved during Orientation Week at the following events.
Let me know if you're interested in helping out.

Date

Event

Basic duties

Tuesday, September 8

Annual Dean's Lunch

Set-up, servers, greeters

Tuesday, September 8

NEW - Arts "homecoming" Parade (SLC to AL)

Parade marchers, greeters in Arts Quad, Cheering

Wednesday, September 9

Academic Success programming

Greeters, people movers, floaters, conversationalists

Wednesday, September 9

NEW - Arts Community builder

Floaters, greeters, conversationalists

Thank you for your support.

Stephanie
Stephanie Bromley
Student Engagement Officer
Orientation Advisor
Arts Staff Advisory Committee - Member at Large
Faculty of Arts, University of Waterloo
PAS 2439
519-888-4567 ext., 33603
skype: stephanie.bromley