Invitation to May 20 Presentation - Cultivating learning cultures: Reflective habits of mind and the value of uncertainty.

Shannon Dea sjdea at uwaterloo.ca
Fri May 1 11:23:57 EDT 2015

Dear colleagues,

please see below the invitation to an exciting upcoming teaching and
learning session to which you are invited. This session aligns with recent
work many of us have been doing on High Impact Practices in teaching and
learning.

All best wishes,
Shannon Dea
--

Director, Women's Studies
Faculty of Arts Teaching Fellow

*The Centre for Teaching Excellence (CTE) and the Centre for Advancement of
Co-operative Education (WatCACE) invite you to attend a presentation by **Dr.
Kathy Takayama  - **Executive Director of the Sheridan Center for Teaching
and Learning and Professor of Molecular Biology, Cell Biology &
Biochemistry at Brown University. *

Wednesday, May 20, 2015
9:15 AM to 11:00 AM
*Location: *DC 1302   *Notes:* registration
<https://myhrinfo.hrms.uwaterloo.ca/psp/SS/?cmd=login> is required. Please
register for CTE744.

You are welcome to arrive at 8:45am for complimentary coffee and snacks.

*Cultivating learning cultures: Reflective habits of mind and the value of
uncertainty.
<https://uwaterloo.ca/centre-for-teaching-excellence/events/cultivating-learning-cultures-cte744>*

As we consider how we are preparing our students for careers that
increasingly depend upon resilience, teamwork, and the integration of
knowledge domains, how do we cultivate learning cultures that transcend the
constraints of curricular structures and that value uncertainty as a
crucial component of learning?

This presentation explores how we might design high impact learning
experiences to foster iterative reflection for deep understanding and
experiential thinking. The social construction of knowledge and
understanding is a critically important consideration as we explore the
power of learning communities and the choices students make when
experiencing new and unfamiliar situations.

This presentation builds on our Teaching and Learning Conference Theme, *
‘Making Teaching and Learning Visible,’* and continues our discussions
related to *High Impact Practices
<https://uwaterloo.ca/centre-for-teaching-excellence/resources/integrative-learning/high-impact-practices-hips-or-engaged-learning-practices>.*

Complete description available on CTE Events page
<https://uwaterloo.ca/centre-for-teaching-excellence/events/cultivating-learning-cultures-cte744>

All are welcome.  We hope to see you there.

 Katherine Lithgow
Senior Instructional Developer Integrative Learning
<https://uwaterloo.ca/centre-for-teaching-excellence/resources/integrative-learning>
EV1 314
Centre for Teaching Excellence <http://cte.uwaterloo.ca/>
University of Waterloo <http://www.uwaterloo.ca/>