Philosophy Colloquium: Feb. 5, 2016

Vicki Brett vbrett at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Feb 1 12:03:51 EST 2016

The next Philosophy Colloquium will be held on Friday, February 5, 2016 at 3:30 p.m. in HH 373.

Katy Fulfer
Sophia M. Libman NEH Professor of the Humanities
Visiting Assistant Professor
Hood College

Canada's (Neo)Colonization of Reproductive Labor

Commercial contract pregnancy and egg donation are banned within Canada, but Canadians undertake commercial transnational reproductive travel to create families. In this talk, I suggest that the connection between Canada's inconsistent regulation and neocolonialism is underexplored. Recently Canadian feminist bioethicists have noticed the inconsistent regulation and advocated for an altruistic, self-sufficiency program to reduce reliance on reproductive travel. However, without acknowledging neocolonialism, feminist bioethicists may not sufficiently highlight global power relationships embedded within transnational reproductive travel. Further, I draw attention to a possible problem with a concurrent ban on commercialized reproduction and promoting self-sufficiency: bans may also reinforce neocolonialism.

Philosophy Events<https://uwaterloo.ca/philosophy/events/philosophy-colloquium-series-2015-2016-3>

Vicki Brett
Undergraduate Coordinator
Philosophy Department - HH 365
200 University Avenue W.
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1
Tel:  519-888-4567  x32449
vbrett at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:vbrett at uwaterloo.ca>
[Email Logo - university-of-waterloo-logo-esig - Sept. 2014 - Resized Copy]