Philosophy Graduate Conference 2016

Vicki Brett vbrett at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Mar 14 09:54:05 EDT 2016

The PGSA (Philosophy Graduate Student Association) 23rd annual conference will take place this Friday and Saturday, March 18 & 19, 2016.

The keynote address will take place on Sat., Mar. 19, 2016 at 3:30 pm in HH 373.

Kristie Dotson<http://www.philosophy.msu.edu/people/faculty/kristiedotson/>,
Michigan State University

A Road to Oblivion: Epistemological Problems and the Importance of #BlackLivesMatter

In her, December 3rd, 2015, Salon piece, "White American's Scary

Delusion: Why Its Sense of Black Humanity is So Skewed," Brittney Cooper labels the stupefaction many people have in the face of today's Black rage an "epistemology problem." It is a problem, she explains, of people utilizing inadequate frameworks for understanding "reasonable" responses to relentless state sanctioned violence against Black people. In this paper, I lend support to Cooper's claim by outlining the accumulation of epistemic power that appears to result in a kind of oblivion concerning realities for Black people and police conduct. Ultimately, I claim that some accumulations of epistemic power can lead to resilient oblivion, i.e. impaired schedules of salience.

More details can be found at https://uwaterloo.ca/philosophy/events/philosophy-graduate-student-conference-2016 which includes a schedule of speakers.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D17DD7.71D4FF00]

Vicki Brett
Undergraduate Coordinator
Philosophy Department - HH 365
200 University Avenue W.
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1
Tel:  519-888-4567  x32449
vbrett at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:vbrett at uwaterloo.ca>
[Email Logo - university-of-waterloo-logo-esig - Sept. 2014 - Resized Copy]