"Define Privacy" Film Screening and Talk November 17

Marcel O'Gorman marcel at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Nov 7 11:50:03 EST 2016

Dear Arts Community,

The Critical Media Lab is pleased to host Dr. Giuliana Cucinelli from Concordia University, who will screen her new interactive documentary, "Define Privacy." This project investigates how young people understand the many roles of digital devices in their lives, focusing specifically on the topics of identity formation, rhetoric, and power dynamics. Additional details about her project are provided below, in addition to a "video teaser" found here: https://vimeo.com/188851187.

Time: Thursday, November 17 at 5:30 pm
Location: Critical Media Lab, 44 Gaukel, Kitchener

Project Description:
“Define Privacy” is an interactive documentary that explores how young people engage with digital devices for learning and living in an increasingly technologically-mediated society and how they define privacy in their own words, and according to their own contexts and lives. We want to know how young people define privacy and what it means to them. We asked them about their daily use of digital devices and what their thoughts were on privacy settings. We found eight common words they use to describe privacy in their lives: share; information identity; control; boundaries; choose’; power; and consequences.  This documentary takes a look at the historical context of these words in contrast to how youth understand them in relation to privacy.

Dr. Cucinelli's visit is funded by SSHRC, in the context of a CML research project on the topic of "Digital Abstinence." We hope you can join us for a stimulating and provocative conversation.

Best wishes,
m.
--
Professor Marcel O'Gorman, PhD