THURSDAY Jean Kilbourne on UW campus!

David Seljak dseljak at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Apr 4 12:04:23 EDT 2017

REMINDER: THIIS THURSDAY.
>From one of our colleagues:
"This is crazy exciting. Kilbourne is amazing. I've frequently taught the "Discourse of Advertising" course for UW English and will reach out to my former students to get whoever I can to come attend. They read, watched, and were in awe of Kilbourne. Thanks for organizing such an amazing speaker."

*        Please circulate this email!

*        Post this information on your UW course web site.

*        Tweet, post on Facebook, and publicize.

The St. Jerome's University HeForShe Committee in conjunction with SJU's Sexuality, Marriage, and Family Studies presents a lecture by:

Jean Kilbourne

The Naked Truth: Advertising's Image of Women

[http://www.jeankilbourne.com/jbp/img/JeanKilbourne-Headshot_HiRes.jpg]

Jean Kilbourne<http://www.jeankilbourne.com/> is a pioneering activist, speaker, and writer on the issues of gender, advertising, and addiction. She is the creator of the renowned Killing Us Softly: Advertising's Image of Women film series and the author of the award-winning book Can't Buy My Love: How Advertising Changes the Way We Think and Feel and So Sexy So Soon: The New Sexualized Childhood and What Parents Can Do to Protect Their Kids (with Diane E. Levin). The New York Times Magazine named her one of the three most popular speakers on US college campuses.

April 6, 1:30 PM to 3 PM
Vanstone Lecture Hall (SJ2 1004 on the St. Jerome's campus)

All are welcome.
Admission is free.

Dr. Kilbourne's talk is presented as part of the St. Jerome's Sexuality, Marriage, and Family Studies 7th Annual Research Symposium (See attached poster.)

The SMF day-long symposium is open to all.

SMF Research Symposium Details:

April 6, 2017
8:30 AM - 5:30 PM
St. Jerome's University (Academic Centre)

Early Bird Deadline: March 24, 2017
$10 for Students ($20 after March 24)
$30 for General Admission ($40 after March 24)

The Kilbourne Lecture is free and open to the public as well as to all participants.

Facebook event page<https://www.facebook.com/events/1179879845458110/?notif_t=plan_user_associated&notif_id=1489425082643930>
Registration Form  <https://form.jotform.com/70044795124252>
www.smfsymposium.ca<http://www.smfsymposium.ca>

For more information:

Toni Serafini, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Department Chair
Sexuality, Marriage, and Family Studies (SMF)

St. Jerome's University in the University of Waterloo
290 Westmount Road, North
Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2L 3G3
519-884-8110 x28293
Office: SJ1, Room 1013A
tserafini at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:tserafini at uwaterloo.ca>

Adjunct, School of Public Health and Health Systems (SPHHS), University of Waterloo
Special Graduate Faculty, Family Relations and Applied Nutrition (FRAN), University of Guelph